Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does your teen have a job?

Posted by   + Show Post

DD17 is looking for a p/t job and has just started her search.  Her schedule will only permit her to work on the weekends and during the holiday breaks.  She has friends who work at the grocery store, ice cream shop and Chick-fil-a...your usual standard flare of teen jobs.  Does your child work?  And if so, what does he/she do?  I'm trying to give DD some ideas and your help will be greatly appreciated.

by on Jan. 11, 2018 at 9:29 AM
Replies (41-47):
VintageToker
by New Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this
My 15 year old had a job last year at an ice Cream shop, she enjoyed it and will probably go back this summer.
Lynn750
by Member on Jan. 20, 2018 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this
My DS16 was just hired for his first job! He’ll be working at Dairy Queen. It’s a new location that isn’t quite finished yet. It’s supposed to open in about two weeks. He interviewed at a nearby location that opened about a year ago. He hasn’t been told where or when to show up for training yet.

He’s super excited! This was the third place he applied and interviewed for. It’s the closest of the three, so that will make it easier!

We’re buying him a car right now. When he gets his driver’s license in about three months, he’ll need to pay for his car insurance. That’s why he needs the job.
Momof2Stepof3
by Member on Jan. 20, 2018 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

DD17 works for Walgreens and they have offered her to go through the training for pharm tech after graduation in May. 

Quoting mamavalor:

DD17 is looking for a p/t job and has just started her search.  Her schedule will only permit her to work on the weekends and during the holiday breaks.  She has friends who work at the grocery store, ice cream shop and Chick-fil-a...your usual standard flare of teen jobs.  Does your child work?  And if so, what does he/she do?  I'm trying to give DD some ideas and your help will be greatly appreciated.

GloBug62
by Member on Jan. 31, 2018 at 12:40 PM

My son is a lifeguard at a community pool. Before that he was a bagger at a grocery store. Before that he worked at Subway (which he hated).

1kidmomajm
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2018 at 5:24 PM

Problem in my county is the minimum wage is now more than the state minimum. So no teens are getting jobs. Who wants to hire a first time job seeker at 17 for $11.50 an hour when the company can hire a 20 year old with a couple years experience for that. He may look this summer at the movie theatre in the adjacent county, that is $10.10 an hour I think. We are kinda rural here to and the driving laws have changed over time, so it makes it tough. My ds last summer at 17 and maybe again this summer at 18, will do an internship at the county court house or local government. No money but looks good for his college interests. But I don't have the extra money to give him spending money once college starts. So it's all kind of a vicious cycle. Otherwise he would just do something in retail.

calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2018 at 6:32 PM
one works at a home improvent store parttime while attending college, the other works part time in retail. over the years our other kids as teens tutored, worked at retail, as servers, and helping people with yard work, swapping out a/c’s seasonally, at camps or youth programs, shoveling, etc..
Sjschewlakow
by New Member on Feb. 2, 2018 at 8:40 PM
DS14 really wants a job. He's applying several places. He currently volunteers one day a week at the senior center.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)