Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Graduating early

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2018 at 7:13 PM
  • 15 Replies
Were not sure if its possible yet cause it just dawned on her but not this upcoming semester but the next maddy will be finished with all of her required ge's and the credits for her degree. So i asked if that meant she could graduate early and she said she thinks so but shes not sure she would want to. So my question is would it be worth graduating and working twords her next degree or staying the other year to year and a half.
by on Jan. 19, 2018 at 7:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 7:45 PM
She's finishing a four year degree in two and a half years? What's her major?
Msgme
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 7:48 PM
English

Quoting romalove: She's finishing a four year degree in two and a half years? What's her major?
Msgme
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 8:21 PM

Quoting romalove: She's finishing a four year degree in two and a half years? What's her major?

i just looked at the website myself and she's a bit mistaken.  After this semester she still needs 26 credits. i don't think she realized they were including in progress  that she's taking this semester.

romalove
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 9:11 PM
Just knowing what goes on at the schools I was surprised she could finish so quickly. It's a good thing us moms double-check!

Quoting Msgme:

i just looked at the website myself and she's a bit mistaken.  After this semester she still needs 26 credits. i don't think she realized they were including in progress  that she's taking this semester.

M4LG5
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Have her do a formal degree check. Most students think that if they complete their major, they are done. Most of the time they have other requirements.

I used to certify degrees and one time a student was missing 2 units. He thought he graduated and went backpacking in Europe so we couldn't even get a hold of him. When he came back he was supposed to start a job but needed proof he completed his degree. Well....long story short, he had to come back for Fall quarter to finish 2 units instead of start a job. It's the students responsibility to check with the advisor.
Kimmybabe
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 9:32 PM
Youngest SIL, who is very adroit on the subject, would suggest graduating and going on to grad school, unless further undergrad classes would provide additional qualifications, credentials, marketable skills that are likely to be of use to you and your carrier goals. After graduating with an accounting degree and graduating from law school, daughters and SILs took 30 additional units of undergrad chemistry over three years of evening classes at local state university in order to take the US patent bar exam to be qualified as patent attorneys. Having a few added qualifications can make you more marketable to employers and higher paid hopefully.

Also that extra time spent in undergrad costs lots of money and time, which should not be spent unless it has value. That lost time and money is the reason that youngest SIL guided the daughters and SILs to skip into dual enrollment classes at community college and local state during the least three years of high school.
Msgme
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 9:37 PM

I know she is expecting to take online classes over the summer again and this time more than 2. so she may have factored that in but Im pretty sure she won't be able to graduate until at the very least end of junior year.  she has 26 more after this semester for the degree but she also needs one more Science class.  and maybe a seminar.

Quoting romalove: Just knowing what goes on at the schools I was surprised she could finish so quickly. It's a good thing us moms double-check!
Quoting Msgme:

Msgme
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 9:39 PM

I think she was mistaken and i'm not sure i'm reading it right its all confusing so i'm gonna tell her to doube check with her advisor before she starts planning a graduation party  lol

Quoting M4LG5: Have her do a formal degree check. Most students think that if they complete their major, they are done. Most of the time they have other requirements. I used to certify degrees and one time a student was missing 2 units. He thought he graduated and went backpacking in Europe so we couldn't even get a hold of him. When he came back he was supposed to start a job but needed proof he completed his degree. Well....long story short, he had to come back for Fall quarter to finish 2 units instead of start a job. It's the students responsibility to check with the advisor.

M4LG5
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 9:41 PM
Yes....always check with an advisor so that if there are any mistakes, it's their fault (and ita documented). Haha

Quoting Msgme:

I think she was mistaken and i'm not sure i'm reading it right its all confusing so i'm gonna tell her to doube check with her advisor before she starts planning a graduation party  lol

Quoting M4LG5: Have her do a formal degree check. Most students think that if they complete their major, they are done. Most of the time they have other requirements.

I used to certify degrees and one time a student was missing 2 units. He thought he graduated and went backpacking in Europe so we couldn't even get a hold of him. When he came back he was supposed to start a job but needed proof he completed his degree. Well....long story short, he had to come back for Fall quarter to finish 2 units instead of start a job. It's the students responsibility to check with the advisor.

Msgme
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 9:55 PM

the more i look at this the more i think she's wrong.  it says she needs 5 more english classes for her degree and 1 Sciecne class but that will not equal the 120 credits required for graduation. she wil stil be a few short.

She had the opposite problem in HS she thought if she met the 44 credits she could graduate. But  certain classes had to be done over the 4 years.  English which being a theatre major she got away with extra classes during ther term but gym and history as well.  Once she realized it she said screw it and tried to graduate with the most credits ever.  she ended up graduating with almost 70 credits but only 44 of them counted  lo

Quoting M4LG5: Yes....always check with an advisor so that if there are any mistakes, it's their fault (and ita documented). Haha
Quoting Msgme:

Quoting M4LG5: Have her do a formal degree check. Most students think that if they complete their major, they are done. Most of the time they have other requirements. I used to certify degrees and one time a student was missing 2 units. He thought he graduated and went backpacking in Europe so we couldn't even get a hold of him. When he came back he was supposed to start a job but needed proof he completed his degree. Well....long story short, he had to come back for Fall quarter to finish 2 units instead of start a job. It's the students responsibility to check with the advisor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)