Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Learning to drive

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2018 at 11:51 AM
  • 27 Replies

How did you moms handle your "babies" learning to drive?  I'll be honest, I've been so nervous that I hardly ever let my daughter drive until recently even though she's had her learner's permit fro quite sometime. It's just so weird and nerve wracking having her driving. (even though she does great!) I just recently started letting her drive mom and venture on the highways. 

by on Feb. 1, 2018 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2018 at 11:55 AM

That is/was my husband's wheelhouse. He started taking the kids to an empty parking lot around age 14.  I would take them to get their permits and licenses though, but the actual teaching I'm not good with.

M4LG5
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2018 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not quite there.....almost.  To be honest, I miss the times that they are young but I get more excited about the stages of where they are and where they are going so I don't ever refer to my kids as my "babies".  No offense to anyone that does.....it just doesn't reflect how I see them.

My oldest is 14.5 years old. I have allowed her to drive the car from the garage to another spot.  I need to do it more.  I actually CAN NOT wait until she starts driving.  This means that I don't have to take her to all of her soccer and softball practices or be there an hour early at her games just to watch her warm up.  I can just show up at game time.  hahaha. 

AnnieGoolaheey
by Member on Feb. 1, 2018 at 11:57 AM

My husband has done most of the teaching but I figured since I drive her to school everyday that I could let her start driving to school so she could get practice.  It causes me great anxiety though.

Quoting mjande4:

That is/was my husband's wheelhouse. He started taking the kids to an empty parking lot around age 14.  I would take them to get their permits and licenses though, but the actual teaching I'm not good with.

AnnieGoolaheey
by Member on Feb. 1, 2018 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I am super excited to soon be able to hand her my keys to go to the store or pick up take-out. LOL 

Quoting M4LG5:

I'm not quite there.....almost.  To be honest, I miss the times that they are young but I get more excited about the stages of where they are and where they are going so I don't ever refer to my kids as my "babies".  No offense to anyone that does.....it just doesn't reflect how I see them.

My oldest is 14.5 years old. I have allowed her to drive the car from the garage to another spot.  I need to do it more.  I actually CAN NOT wait until she starts driving.  This means that I don't have to take her to all of her soccer and softball practices or be there an hour early at her games just to watch her warm up.  I can just show up at game time.  hahaha. 

mjande4
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2018 at 12:00 PM
2 moms liked this

That is the BEST part!  No more having to pick kids up from practices gave me my life back.  lol

Quoting M4LG5:

heybooboo
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2018 at 12:00 PM

DH started driving with them first, usually for a few months.  And once he felt I wouldn't lose my mind riding with them, I started driving with them.

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 1, 2018 at 12:02 PM

Its a new stage like any stage of life.  Mine too drivers ed because you have to in our state.  They were both 17 or near 17 by the time they got their license.  We got them cars.  One dd I drove with the other made me too nervous and dh drove with her.  Funny because the one I wouldn't drive with is a much better driver as an adult than the other.  The day they got their license they drove back to school after getting it.  

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2018 at 12:03 PM

It wasnt hard for us. They took the driver education classes, road lessons and then we took them once they got the permit. My dh is awesome at it. The day my oldest got his permit its was a snowstrom. Dh took him out for 4 hours after just passing the test so he could learn to drive in snow. I had a few Eeekkk moments but the more we let them drive the better they became. We never didnt allow certain roads. We are just outside of Boston. You have got to know how to drive and handle all the crazys !

M4LG5
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2018 at 12:24 PM

My oldest is in high school so I'll go to her game (she is on JV right now) and then she'll say "Mom, can I stay for the varsity?"  It is likely she is going to be pulled up to varsity for playoffs so I get why she wants to stay BUT I don't want to stay because its freak'n cold out there.  hahaha.

So, I end up going home and then coming back.  Thank goodness I live about 10 minutes away.

Quoting mjande4:

That is the BEST part!  No more having to pick kids up from practices gave me my life back.  lol

Quoting M4LG5:

Beautifulmom513
by Member on Feb. 1, 2018 at 12:27 PM
We aren’t there yet. Our son turned 15 last year. He will be 16 November this year. So far he has no desire to drive. He very immature for his age and is too lazy to learn.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)