Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did you moms handle your "babies" learning to drive?  I'll be honest, I've been so nervous that I hardly ever let my daughter drive until recently even though she's had her learner's permit fro quite sometime. It's just so weird and nerve wracking having her driving. (even though she does great!) I just recently started letting her drive mom and venture on the highways. 

by on Feb. 1, 2018 at 11:51 AM
Replies (21-27):
awbredux
by Allie on Feb. 2, 2018 at 8:36 AM

I have one that drives so far.   Because she and I are so alike, we have always locked horns too easily.   (Most of the time, we get along great, but when there's a conflict, it can get amplified.)   So we all realized that her Daddy should work with her on driving.   She also had a driving course at school.   

coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2018 at 8:40 AM
OMG I really struggled! DA room driver's ed in school, went out with us and an instructor. I was always a mess! I would pump the imaginary brakes on my side of the car, hold on to the door with white knuckles and just be scared. He's had his license for almost a year and I can finally drive with him and not have a heart attack.
Lynn750
by Member on Feb. 2, 2018 at 2:15 PM
My DS16 has had his permit for about four months. He’s doing well, but still makes mistakes sometimes. Luckily, nothing bad. He’s been on the freeway three times, but only about two miles each time. Boy, was I sweating bullets!

But, I’m still not going to let him drive alone until he practices more!

He will start his first job in a week, and it’s five minutes away. He may be able to drive himself there in April or so, and I may let him drive himself and DD14 to school next year.
1kidmomajm
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2018 at 5:06 PM

I decided, the sooner the better, that way ds got more experience. Sure we had a few scary moments. I just remembered how I did and how I felt as a kid. I felt confident and that I had control. As long as your teen is not way scared, let them drive. MD has some of the toughest driving laws for learning teens. There is a tier program, you have to earn your way to more privileges. This April will be a year. We let him start after the official license, but driving to school, then his summer internship. I gone with him to do city driving and he has done 3 hour trips with me to visit colleges. He needs more beltway practice. We live in the DC area and there are some crazies here! If you act scared it will make it worse for them. Relax!!

NHOPE127
by on Feb. 6, 2018 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Personally, i took advantage of that year with my daughter's permit.  I wanted her to have as much practice on the road with me in the car as possible before she was out there on her own.  I was able to teach and correct some things that she wasn't aware of at the time.  It was great, because it was like having my own chauffeur. haha.  Seriously, i wanted her to have experience with everything, especially the interstate. Now she's 20 and she drives to other states with friends and I'm not worried about her.  She will be on her own, so you choose how much she will know before that happens.

wakymom
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2018 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Lots of deep breaths and chocolate : )

We had let ds1 drive some in campgrounds, and he'd been driving the ride-on mower for a couple years, so he was already semi-familiar with driving when he got his permit. Dh is the one who taught him to drive, so he was pretty decent by the time I rode with him. Ds2 and dd were very annoyed at first- we made them be quiet the first few times ds1 drove the whole family around so they wouldn't distract him. 

Ds2 just turned 14 last month, and I swear he is already counting down the days until he can get his permit. He started learning how to steer the riding mower last summer, and I'm sure we'll have him drive in campgrounds a little bit this summer. Dh will be the one to teach him.

I've already been informed that I get to teach dd, who just turned 12 last month, when it's her turn.

Sportsmom1977
by on Feb. 10, 2018 at 9:50 PM

My oldest is in the process right now and it actually hasn't been going that bad. She will have it at her 17th birthday in July.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)