Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

she was asked to play guitar

Posted by   + Show Post

Next month tori is going to albany again.  the teacher needs a guitarist to accompany some of the songs.  She has seen tori with a guitar and has heard her play a litlte.  the thing is tori doesnt really know how to play the guitar.  She can mimic some basic songs. but thats it.  shes been asked to play 3 rather difficult songs next month lol  so now i'm trying to find her guitar lessons lol

by on Feb. 2, 2018 at 11:45 AM
Replies (11-13):
jewjewbee
by Member on Feb. 3, 2018 at 12:44 PM
My son is a musician and started with guitar. Let me give you this one piece of advice and I never give advice.
Teach your child to be very picky with who she says yes to for performing. If she starts saying yes on a regular basis people will start to expect her to play whenever they ask, whether she is comfortable with it or not and whether she is good or not. People want free entertainment all the time.
Please, teach her to start saying no to free gigs early or she's going to find herself with people asking all the time. It's just not fair for kids to perform at will for free whenever someone asks. Good luck.
Msgme
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2018 at 3:25 PM
I was talking to her last night a bit she says shes up for the challenge but she doesn't want to embarrass her self or the school. She also said the teacher is too smart to just wing it and will want lots of rehersals and shes ok with not doing it if she cant learn them in a months time. In the mean time she found a senior in her school who is pretty good at guitar and he gives lessons for a really good price since hes saving for college. She wants to learn anyway. A win win.

Quoting ljmom24: from prior post she sounds very musical so it’s possible she can very well learn this in time but as a mom if probably advise her to be honest with the teacher. She probably thinks she can play so i’d Tell her to tell the teacher I don’t have formal training but I’m willing to learn and take it from there. I think the honesty will probably impress the teacher and she can make a choice from there if she’d rather pick a more experienced guitarist but keep tori in mind in future.

If entertainment is field she wants to move forward in there is a huge temptation to lie or exaggerate skills to land a gig and it can backfire. Known a few friend end up really embarrassing themselves in auditions when they really didn’t have all that tap training or aren’t fluent in Spanish. So might be an opportunity to remind her to be truthful in her current abilities. If she still wants to learn guitar just one more thing for the resume.
ljmom24
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2018 at 3:57 PM
Good for her. Envious of her courage.

Quoting Msgme: I was talking to her last night a bit she says shes up for the challenge but she doesn't want to embarrass her self or the school. She also said the teacher is too smart to just wing it and will want lots of rehersals and shes ok with not doing it if she cant learn them in a months time. In the mean time she found a senior in her school who is pretty good at guitar and he gives lessons for a really good price since hes saving for college. She wants to learn anyway. A win win.

Quoting ljmom24: from prior post she sounds very musical so it’s possible she can very well learn this in time but as a mom if probably advise her to be honest with the teacher. She probably thinks she can play so i’d Tell her to tell the teacher I don’t have formal training but I’m willing to learn and take it from there. I think the honesty will probably impress the teacher and she can make a choice from there if she’d rather pick a more experienced guitarist but keep tori in mind in future.

If entertainment is field she wants to move forward in there is a huge temptation to lie or exaggerate skills to land a gig and it can backfire. Known a few friend end up really embarrassing themselves in auditions when they really didn’t have all that tap training or aren’t fluent in Spanish. So might be an opportunity to remind her to be truthful in her current abilities. If she still wants to learn guitar just one more thing for the resume.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)