Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dorm insurance?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2018 at 10:41 AM
  • 55 Replies

I'm working on next fall's budget....anyone have dorm insurance and roughly what am I looking at $$$$$?

by on Feb. 6, 2018 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anotherandree
by Member on Feb. 6, 2018 at 11:09 AM
I've never actually heard of dorm insurance. We always had renters insurance (when we rented) and it was something obscenely small like $8/mo.
chicken13
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2018 at 11:28 AM

I'm not even sure that's what it's called.  But it's similar.  I had it when I was in college a bazillion years ago.

Quoting anotherandree: I've never actually heard of dorm insurance. We always had renters insurance (when we rented) and it was something obscenely small like $8/mo.

Msgme
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2018 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I got a $131 a year  quote   it was a $5000 with at $25 deductable  and there was a processing fee that was include in the quote.   it was called college student insurance and it covers them at school and at home.

chicken13
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2018 at 11:47 AM

Covers what?  Why at home?

Quoting Msgme:

I got a $131 a year  quote   it was a $5000 with at $25 deductable  and there was a processing fee that was include in the quote.   it was called college student insurance and it covers them at school and at home.

mjande4
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2018 at 11:47 AM

Honestly, it sounds like a waste of money.  My daughter's dorm room is not big enough to have more than a few hundred dollars worth of stuff, including a refrigerator and microwave.  Not to mention dorms have rules about what you can and can't have to prevent fires, etc.  Renter's insurance is prudent, but I wouldn't pay for dorm insurance.

ETA:  I've never heard of dorm insurance until this thread and know no one who purchased it.

mjande4
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2018 at 11:48 AM

Why at home!?  They would be covered under the home owner's policy.

Quoting Msgme:

chicken13
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2018 at 11:49 AM

Computer?  iphone?

I could come up with more....

Quoting mjande4:

Honestly, it sounds like a waste of money.  My daughter's dorm room is not big enough to have more than a few hundred dollars worth of stuff, including a refrigerator and microwave.  Not to mention dorms have rules about what you can and can't have to prevent fires, etc.  Renter's insurance is prudent, but I wouldn't pay for dorm insurance.

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 6, 2018 at 11:50 AM

Never did it and never did it when dd rented a house or in an apartment.  The house was school owned but the apt wasn't.  She was only in the apt her final semester for 4 months.  I never heard of dorm insurance or anyone who bought it.  

Come to Big Brothers Groupies if you want to chat about Big Brother Celebrity Edition Starting Feb 7.  Just a warning it is a spoiler group.  

mjande4
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2018 at 11:50 AM

Yeh, but those still won't be worth the insurance in my opinion.  

Quoting chicken13:

Computer?  iphone?

Quoting mjande4:

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 6, 2018 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Already have phone insurance and computer might be on the homeowners already.  Look into it.  Seems not worth the money because I am sure there is a deductible too.  

Quoting chicken13:

Computer?  iphone?

Quoting mjande4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)