Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So dd’s school allows seniors to do a spring internship instead of school. (Roughly the last 2 months).

Dd just finalized with the local hospital. She’ll be working with a neurosurgeon, a pediatrician and ER night doctor (that one should be interesting).

She’s stoked.

And I’m stoked. Cause I’d rather her see if this is something she wants to do BEFORE I pay for Med school. Lol
by on Feb. 8, 2018 at 12:23 PM
Replies (11-18):
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 8, 2018 at 1:56 PM
That is awesome. We don't have anything like that here in HS. So happy for her.
chicken13
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 2:12 PM
It IS a really cool program. The kids can “do” anything they want. They just have to get approval.

There are the obvious internships. But then some really neat ones...

Last year, one kid built a kit car. There was a kid that produced a documentary. A kid that went to Iceland to be involved in horse (or goat or something) breeding.

It’s a nice way to avoid the senior slump and do something productive and interesting.

Quoting atlmom2: That is awesome. We don't have anything like that here in HS. So happy for her.
jewjewbee
by Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this
It's a great thing, I'm assuming this is college?
My son did an internship for a whole semester with the state capitol as a PoliSci/Public policy major.
Most awesome thing, made great contacts for life
chicken13
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 7:20 PM
High school actually

Quoting jewjewbee: It's a great thing, I'm assuming this is college?
My son did an internship for a whole semester with the state capitol as a PoliSci/Public policy major.
Most awesome thing, made great contacts for life
Kimmybabe
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this

This is a really good idea.

When ours were considering law school, youngest SIL’s dad, an attorney, took each to work with him several days, so that they could see just how BORING being a lawyer is. TV and movies are pure fiction.  His point was that you don't want to invest a mere $100,000 plus and three years of your life only to discover OOPSE I HATE THIS CRAP!

One of the partners at the law firm was telling them about his dad, a doctor, and his dad’s friend, a lawyer, taking each others kid to work. He became a lawyer and the other boy became a doctor. Go figure?

Ziva65
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2018 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this
My son is doing a neuro research internship in summers, started last year. He also just started a hospital rotation/ volunteer and shadowing. Pre- med. He didn’t mind the research but knew that wouldn’t be his career; he really didn’t like anything about the hospital, at all. He hated it!

My daughter on the other hand loves pre med, loves the hospital, excels in chemistry and bio. Just right up her ally.

My son now switched to dental lol. Thinking about oral surgery. He spent a month following a friend who is one. My son loved it. Surprised us, wasn’t sure about the mouth, the mess, the germs, etc. but he loves it.

I think that’s great for your daughter!!! It helps so much in what they want to do.

Quoting chicken13: So dd�s school allows seniors to do a spring internship instead of school. (Roughly the last 2 months).

Dd just finalized with the local hospital. She�ll be working with a neurosurgeon, a pediatrician and ER night doctor (that one should be interesting).

She�s stoked.

And I�m stoked. Cause I�d rather her see if this is something she wants to do BEFORE I pay for Med school. Lol
Ziva65
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2018 at 12:07 PM
Yes, and the investment to be a physician?! Oh my gosh.

Quoting Kimmybabe:

This is a really good idea.

When ours were considering law school, youngest SIL’s dad, an attorney, took each to work with him several days, so that they could see just how BORING being a lawyer is. TV and movies are pure fiction.  His point was that you don't want to invest a mere $100,000 plus and three years of your life only to discover OOPSE I HATE THIS CRAP!

One of the partners at the law firm was telling them about his dad, a doctor, and his dad’s friend, a lawyer, taking each others kid to work. He became a lawyer and the other boy became a doctor. Go figure?

rainiebelle
by Member on Feb. 10, 2018 at 12:27 PM
That is so awesome!
I wish I could find something like this for DD. She wants to be a psychologist. She is doing a spring internship to be a swimming instructor this summer then will take another internship in the fall to become a lifeguard. (She is on the swim team and manager of the boys swim team).
In any case I love watching my kids test their wings! I know mine is sometimes a little to impatient and wants to fly already.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)