Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you do random drug testing?

Posted by   + Show Post

Since my 16 year old has taken Xanax, we have been doing random drug testing. It all comes up clean except for Nicotine. He has been caught 2 times, with a vape in his bedroom. The first time I made him smash it up outside with a hammer. The second time, it was a small vape, which can be easily hidden. I've realized through some research, these small vapes are VERY popular with teens because they are so small. Since he failed the nicotine test, this means he's was vaping nicotine. So disappointing. He said some kids do it in the restroom at school. It is everywhere! He said lots of teens vape, boys and girls alike. 

My biggest fear is drug use. More specifically, prescription medication abuse. Also, I hear there's  a thing called "triple Cs" ? it makes the kids feel high for a short time and goes undetected by all drug tests. It's an over the counter medication for colds I believe. Can I just lock him up in his room and homeschool him? 

Raising this teen has been the most difficult thing. It is a mental, emotional rollercoaster. 

by on Feb. 28, 2018 at 8:27 AM
Replies (31-35):
Pukalani79
by Member on Mar. 4, 2018 at 8:59 PM
Its never crossed my mind to
BatKrazy
by Member on Mar. 5, 2018 at 1:33 AM

I know you want to do whats best for your child.  No parent wants our kids to fall into bad behaviors such as addictions.  But drug testing seems really harsh and shows him that you have no trust in him.  How will he ever know that his decisions are ever his to make.   Kids experiment with things most of the time its harmless and they move on.   Sometimes they pick up bad habits.  Really at 16 you are telling him he is not worth trusting, why would he try to earn trust when you won't ever give it to him. Why would he not do something regardless of the testing.  He vapes even when you check him and it turns up.  So if you want to push him to the over the counter drugs like coricidin hbp and Mucinex that don't show up than keep doing what you doing.  Kids find ways to be sneaky and the forbidden fruits are the ones they are most attracted to.  Instead smashing the vape with a hammer, educate him on what addiction is how it affects his body and his lifestyle, how instead of being "cool" or "dangerous"  it makes him look "weak" "follower" and "irresponsible" and "unhealthy".  I had a tyrant of a father...literally the most strict jerk known to fathers, I still ended up an alcoholic, and my younger sister was still a teen mom.  You thinking you are holding him back from the behaviors maybe pushing him to them and he will find super inventive ways to hide it, or just stop caring about hiding it all together.  Let him understand your fear and love for him but don't force it on him. 

Caitlin10081989
by Member on Mar. 5, 2018 at 2:42 AM

No, I do not do random drug testing. No, you can not just lock him up in his room and homeschool him. There are a lot worse drugs then xanax.

Debmomto2teens
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2018 at 4:12 AM
I don’t understand why Xanax would make you want to drug test him.

And no. My girls are 20 and almost 17. I’ve never felt the need to drug test.
zacmacsmomm
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2018 at 9:17 PM

I'm sorry you are going through this!  I've never drug tested either one of my children

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)