Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Junior Year Scheduled and College Visits Picked Out

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2018 at 9:20 AM
  • 45 Replies

Dd and I sat down with her counselor to review her schedule for next year now that she's been officially accepted into the teacher academy. We had some conflict as the band director has now made year round band mandatory for her to be a majorette. *eyeroll

But we have worked it and she will be in Band at her home school during zero period, then she will go to the tech school for teacher academy,  Which will start at the tech school and end at BGSU as the kids take two college courses for that class. 

Then she will take an academic writing class at the college, government and econ at the tech school and then the second semester she will take an advance science at the tech school and a math at the college.

Let me just say I am so glad she got her license. It's a little scary thinking of her doing all that running throughout the day on her own.

Also at the counselor's suggestion we are going to be scheduling college visits between April and August so she can start narrowing down where she wants to apply.

Our college visit choices were based on them having an Air Force ROTC program, offering a degree or certification of English as a Second Language, being a state school so her credits will transfer, and with a price tag of under $20k a year.

Top Choices:  

Ohio University

The Ohio State University

Kent State (She's been there 2x but I've never been)

Akron University

Dude this is crazy!

by on Mar. 7, 2018 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maime13
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2018 at 9:27 AM

Very exciting!!

I'd personally pick OU off the list. Their financial aid is generous and it's a scenic drive. lol

Sydel
by Group Admin on Mar. 7, 2018 at 9:39 AM

I have never been to any of those campuses. I visited Ashland, Toledo, Cincinnati, and Youngstown back in the day.

Quoting Maime13:

Very exciting!!

I'd personally pick OU off the list. Their financial aid is generous and it's a scenic drive. lol

Maime13
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2018 at 9:43 AM

OU is a nice campus and like I said, it's scenic. It's a fun little college town with a HUGE Halloween street party every year. If I'm not mistaken they also have a really clear financial aid tier system whereby if you have X GPA you automatically are getting at least Y amount of money.

Ohio State is bonkers in size. It's like 60+ thousand students. It's not my cup of tea though the actual campus is pretty cool and they have tons of state of the art facilities and all kinds of amazing programs.

Kent state is very urban but less so than OSU. There is plenty to do but it's not overwhelmingly large.

I've never been to Akron.

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 7, 2018 at 9:52 AM

Nice planning.  We didn't do visits till the summer before Senior year.  Did 5 colleges in 5 days, lol.  3 Indiana and 2 Ohio.  It was nice to get them all done in a week.  I went to 2 schools and dh went to all 5 with dd. 

I went to Kent State only once to hear Barbara Bush speak when I lived in Aurora.  

chicken13
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2018 at 9:53 AM
Getting real!!!!
Sydel
by Group Admin on Mar. 7, 2018 at 9:58 AM

She really likes Kent. I went there for a majorette clinic with her a few years ago and attended a basketball game. But the gym was the extent of my tour. I did go out to eat and did some shopping in the surrounding area and that was pretty nice.

Quoting atlmom2:

Nice planning.  We didn't do visits till the summer before Senior year.  Did 5 colleges in 5 days, lol.  3 Indiana and 2 Ohio.  It was nice to get them all done in a week.  I went to 2 schools and dh went to all 5 with dd. 

I went to Kent State only once to hear Barbara Bush speak when I lived in Aurora.  

Sydel
by Group Admin on Mar. 7, 2018 at 10:08 AM

I personally don't think she will like OSU but it would make dh's day for her to go. My step brother is down there right now. We all thought he would go to a small college and he surprised us. He loves it down there so we shall see what she thinks.

I will have to look up this financial aid tier you speak of for OU.

Quoting Maime13:

OU is a nice campus and like I said, it's scenic. It's a fun little college town with a HUGE Halloween street party every year. If I'm not mistaken they also have a really clear financial aid tier system whereby if you have X GPA you automatically are getting at least Y amount of money.

Ohio State is bonkers in size. It's like 60+ thousand students. It's not my cup of tea though the actual campus is pretty cool and they have tons of state of the art facilities and all kinds of amazing programs.

Kent state is very urban but less so than OSU. There is plenty to do but it's not overwhelmingly large.

I've never been to Akron.

Kimmybabe
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2018 at 10:21 AM
What happened to We Are Marshall?

The reason I mention it is that you had mentioned it and the movie by that name some time ago. Out of curiousity, I looked it up on the web and looked at he DVD from the library. Hubby and I enjoyed it. Thank you!
Maime13
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2018 at 10:25 AM

I'm trying to find it but I'm not having a ton of luck finding the page I remember seeing. It was several years ago, because one of DS1's classmates was planning to attend and her Mother told me about it. I went home and looked it up.

This was all I was able to find, quickly but I'm going to keep looking! lol

https://www.ohio.edu/admissions/tuition/scholfinaid/signature.cfm

Msgme
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2018 at 10:29 AM

Tori has been working on her College book  She wants to research school in 5 different states.  she has 4 of the states picked so far lol.  we have started picking times for her to do visits.  Not this summer but next she is going to texas to look at a few schools, my cousin lives there.  Then she's going to calfornia to look at a few schools. My sister is taking her. We are also going to try and fit in Florida where my other cousin is to look at a few there. Somewhere along the line she'l check out NY schools.  she's been to New Paltz already so one down  lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)