Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Driving?

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2009 at 7:06 AM
  • 18 Replies

My teen is taking her temporary test on friday.  Does anyone have any advice on how to teach a teen to drive?

Visual Impairment Group Owner
http://www.cafemom.com/group/visualimpairment

Moms of Kids with ONH  Group Administrator
http://www.cafemom.com/group/opticnervehypoplasia

by on Apr. 14, 2009 at 7:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mars33me
by on Apr. 14, 2009 at 8:14 AM

My daughter got her temps last April, they expire this month... she is going to have to retake the test because she isn't taking drivers training until May.  I suggest keeping him on his temps as long as you can, there is no such thing as too much practice.  And stock up on nerve medication... I hadn't had a panic attack in years but when I got in the passenger seat next to my daughter driving I remembered real fast what it was like to panic.  I've never felt so completely out of control... it's probably one of the most difficult things I've had to do with her.  So far anyway...

shanlaree
by on Apr. 14, 2009 at 8:14 AM

Practice, practice and more practice is all I can say. Our 16 year old will be getting her license any day now and I am so not comfortable with her driving yet. Not sure I will be for a long time. Good luck! 

Dawn0522
by on Apr. 14, 2009 at 9:08 AM

I don't want to let our 16 year old drive.  I think it's entirely too early.  I'm not the only one either.  Here in Pennsylvania they're considering raising the driving age. 

shanlaree
by on Apr. 15, 2009 at 7:45 AM

I couldn't agree more. We are letting her get her license but we are not giving her free reign with her car. For now, the only driving she gets to do is down the street and around the corner to school. The street to school has no stop lights, no intersections and barely any traffic. This is our way of letting her get comfortable driving in a relatively safe manner. We know she is not ready for driving in real traffic and will need many more hours of driving with mom and dad before we let her go any further in her car.

Quoting Dawn0522:

I don't want to let our 16 year old drive.  I think it's entirely too early.  I'm not the only one either.  Here in Pennsylvania they're considering raising the driving age. 

sonjaf
by on Apr. 15, 2009 at 9:10 AM

My daughter turned 16 in February and we are making her wait. I feel that she is way to immature to get behind the wheel of a car. I told her she needs to grow up first, because I don't want to be responsible for something bad happening to her or someone else while she is driving.

Quoting Dawn0522:

Woozlfreak
by on Apr. 15, 2009 at 9:32 AM

My 13 year old can operate a car, including manual transmissions. However, she doesn't know how to drive around other cars. I can't wait until she can tho. It's going to be so nice knowing that she can run to the store for me or get herself to work or other programs she's interested in, go visit her friends, etc. She's a responsible kid, and they have some really neat things you can put in the vehicle to keep track of the kids, cameras that watch the driver, gps locators that will not allow the car to turn on again if they've gone outside a designated perimeter. I figure if she starts driving at 16 with me with her then she'll actually have a couple of years of practice before she's out on her own doing it anyway.

blogenmom
by on May. 2, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I taught my daughter now 16 how to drive a stick shift at 10. we lived on a farm so miles of just corn fields and grass. I told her what to do virbly and let her climb in the driver seat. If she didnt do something right i would correct her. so trial and error worked us.

sahlady
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 6:10 PM

here in CA the kids must take a behind the wheel lesson with a licensed drivers ed teacher before mom and dad can get in the car with them.

sahlady
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 6:11 PM

personally I want my child to have plenty of driving experience before heading off to college.  I want to know that they have had short trip where they were very familiar with the roads before ever trying to drive in a whole different area/state.

Quoting Dawn0522:

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 6:16 PM

All of mine learned to drive at 16, none were allowed to get a license until they were 18. That was a full 2 years of instruction, and I knew when they hit the roads that they were, without a doubt, ready. 

Practice is the key, there is not other way to learn.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)