Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My teen is taking her temporary test on friday.  Does anyone have any advice on how to teach a teen to drive?

Visual Impairment Group Owner
http://www.cafemom.com/group/visualimpairment

Moms of Kids with ONH  Group Administrator
http://www.cafemom.com/group/opticnervehypoplasia

by on Apr. 14, 2009 at 7:06 AM
Replies (11-18):
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 2, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Drivers ed. Lots of patience. Practice, practice. Have to take drivers ed in Wisconsin.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ame4c
by on May. 2, 2013 at 6:35 PM

If you have some ZanX you may want to take some.

drfink
by Emily on May. 2, 2013 at 7:22 PM

We always use drivers ed.It saves a lot of stress for their first city street driving to be with an instructor and a drivers ed car with the extra brake.After they have a couple of hours behind the wheel with the instructor off we go till they drive almost everywhere we go.Night or day ,wet or dry.I want them to have as much experience as they can before getting their license.

drfink
by Emily on May. 2, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Quoting ame4c:

If you have some ZanX you may want to take some.

LOL I have noticed my wine consumption does increase during the year they have their learners permit ; )

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Mine waited until she was 19 before getting hers and she has got till next year to get off them. Her theory was that if she got it after 18 then we couldn't control what she did with it.

EyEmTuRtLe
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 8:17 PM

My DS just turned 15 in Nov. And is asking when will we let him get his learners permit. DH says when he's 18. I'm thinking 16 but with a 2 year probation. DH doesn't really want to discuss it because he doesn't see DS needing to drive. Then again DH doesn't drive DS everywhere. 

I told DS when he can afford to buy himself a car and pay for the insurance. What I didn't know was how much he's tucked away in his savings account the last 2 summers working as a landscaper. If he works for his 5th summer as a landscaper than I'm pretty much toast on the threat. Ugh!

Dawn0522
by on May. 6, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Quoting sahlady:

personally I want my child to have plenty of driving experience before heading off to college.  I want to know that they have had short trip where they were very familiar with the roads before ever trying to drive in a whole different area/state.

Quoting Dawn0522:

I don't want to let our 16 year old drive.  I think it's entirely too early.  I'm not the only one either.  Here in Pennsylvania they're considering raising the driving age. 

Goes without saying, if he doesn't have a license, he won't be able to drive anywhere.

sahlady
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I guess I didnt understand your reply.  You would prefer him not have a licence until after college?

Quoting Dawn0522:

Quoting sahlady:

personally I want my child to have plenty of driving experience before heading off to college.  I want to know that they have had short trip where they were very familiar with the roads before ever trying to drive in a whole different area/state.

Quoting Dawn0522:

I don't want to let our 16 year old drive.  I think it's entirely too early.  I'm not the only one either.  Here in Pennsylvania they're considering raising the driving age. 

Goes without saying, if he doesn't have a license, he won't be able to drive anywhere.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)