Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

!!!ugh!!! okay moms dd to get drivers license, and im nervous

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2009 at 10:20 PM
  • 12 Replies

how did you get over being nervous about your kidos driving by their self, im so scared, i give the little pep talks before she leaves,give her hugs and kisses,i just cant get over the fear that something may happen,i know maybe im just being paranoid,any advice is welcomed

by on Apr. 15, 2009 at 10:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wyndi
by on Apr. 16, 2009 at 3:44 AM

My DD is getting ready to get her license. I'm scared too. Thankfully here in Ohio she can't have anyone with her except parents and siblings (only if parents are in the car with them) for the first 6 months after getting her license.

What my DD does not know is that the car stereo has a detachable face plate that will stay home with me for the first year.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/PushMe  come here for your motivational needs
http://www.cafemom.com/group/time4kids the place for one on one time with your kids.
http://www.cafemom.com/group/BluntConfessions the place to be, the place to confess all your darkest secrets

summerdayz
by on Apr. 16, 2009 at 6:31 AM

I would be a nervous wreck, and NO I do not think you are being paranoid at all.  My nephew (17)  just started driving, and I don't think he's ready.

Quoting Wyndi:

My DD is getting ready to get her license. I'm scared too. Thankfully here in Ohio she can't have anyone with her except parents and siblings (only if parents are in the car with them) for the first 6 months after getting her license.

What my DD does not know is that the car stereo has a detachable face plate that will stay home with me for the first year.

It's not just the teens who play with the stereo while driving. My second son was about 21 when he wrecked his car because he was adjusting the stereo, and my neighbor's daughter did the exact same thing at about the same age.

spring springtime                               

wildirishrose4
by Member on Jun. 6, 2013 at 12:26 AM

My DD got hers in February. Weather was bad, and we did not feel she was good at all and did not let her drive alone except to church for 2 weeks. We live in a rural town where 4 teens have died a year for the last 5 years in accidents due to country roads with 55 mph speed limits. She goes to private school 18 miles away and her friends live all over. We had her drive us around and she got better, and now we let her take the car whenever she needs to.  She seriously did not have the practice. You will know when she is ready. 

I still am uneasy when she is out, but it has gotten much better!

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jun. 6, 2013 at 2:25 AM
My DS practiced with his permit for a year from the day he turned 15 until the day he turned 16 and got his license. By then I felt pretty confident in his driving skills. I was always more worried when kids I didn't know drove. Reason we bought DS a car.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2013 at 4:06 AM

I made mine wait till she was almost 20 to get hers. And I'm making her go nice and slow with her hours (100) so that she is more than ready for the test. Apparently she has good days and bad days but the bad days are slowing down with the amount of practice she gets in.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 6, 2013 at 7:30 AM
I just did after a while. I was so glad I didn't have to haul them around. Mine were 17 or just before 17.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kimsamomof3
by Member on Jun. 6, 2013 at 7:48 AM
It's still scary. My son had had his license for 15 months. He drives to work, school, and pretty much anywhere in town. I have not allowed him to drive on the interstate yet because I am nervous with him driving high speeds.
It gets a little easier but not much.
vlynn.iowa
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2013 at 7:54 AM

When my oldest got his license it was nerve wrecking and it didn't help that with in 10 minutes of him leaving the house I would hear sirens.  It's all part of growing up and us letting go.  If you've done your job then you have raised trustworthy independant young adults.  Let them fly.

ysmeine
by on Jun. 6, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I was 28 when I got mine and my older two still haven't gotten theirs, 20 and 22. So I pushed the almost 18 yr old before he moved out. I was scared but I was also scared that he would be dependant if I didn't push him to drive. Now I have someone to help out and I know he can get himself to college and work. He can make himself a future. You don't want dd to have to be dependant on a man all her life, or in a controling relationship. 

Oh and it gets easier when you don't have to be in the car to see them drive too close to a parked car or not start to break soon enough at an intersection.

Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Has she attended a good drivers training program?  If not, sign her up now.  Swerve has one of the best, including (for an extra charge) the Reality Check, where they practice high speed maneuvers and stopping.

All 4 of mine have their licenses - they got permits at 15, and drove with me for a year.  All got their licenses at 16.  We allowed ALL of them to drive - to school, to dance, all around.  In most parts of the country, it's an essential skill (I know, not all).  Here also, you are not allowed to have anyone in the car but parents or siblings for the first 6 months, and no more than 3 other people until you turn 18.  No driving between 1 and 5 am until 18.  No cell phone use (even bluetooth).  Any of those things - or any citations or accidents - will cause you to lose your license til 18.  Any alcohol offense causes you to lose your license til 21.

Get her a safe vehicle (all of mine started out with a mid sized truck, statistically shown to be the safest for new drivers).  Tell them you will check their cell phone use (make sure they aren't sending/receiving texts or calls while driving).  do not allow them to eat or drink while driving (my brother, years ago, ran my car into a brand new Cadillac while trying to drive and eat a taco at the same time).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)