Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do you think there's more leniency with teen boys than there is with teen girls?

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2009 at 6:55 PM
  • 8 Replies

Do you think there's more leniency towards teen boys than there is with teen girls? Pleas share your thooughts. IMO I believe it should be equal, but my dh says that our son will be able yo do more as a teen than our daughter will, I ask why and he says because he's a boy. Makes no sense to me.

by on Apr. 16, 2009 at 6:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
rona503
by on Apr. 16, 2009 at 7:13 PM

that is the way it was when i was growing up my brother was allowed to stay out all night at 16 but me i had to be in a 11. my mom said it was because he could not get pg and i could .well now that I'm a mom my son will not be allowed to stay out all night he will be home by 12 .but i have a little while before i have to think about that he is only 13 and does not go out just yet .i don't think it is fair on the girls that boys and do thing that girls cant .they should be treated the same  

shanlaree
by on Apr. 17, 2009 at 8:43 AM

I have three girls, so I really don't have a horse in this race. But I can remember being a teen (it wasn't that long ago, at least in my head lol) and I know that I was treated a little differently than my younger brother. I think as a society we still feel as though girls need to be protected and that "boys will boys". I do know that if I had a son I would be just as vigilant in his life as I am in my daughters lives.

runner231
by on Apr. 17, 2009 at 9:01 AM

I think there is more leniency with boys. I think we tend to worry more about girls. My daughter doesn't walk to school by herself, mostly because there is no one in our area for her to walk with. I think if her friends lived near us and they could walk together I might let her. I only have a girl but I think I am more fearful then I would be with a boy.

Natalieyellow ribbon

summerdayz
by on Apr. 17, 2009 at 9:11 AM

I think boys do seem to have greater freedom than girls. My kids are treated the same though.

My son is 16 and my daughter is 14. When my son was 14, he was not allowed to do anything my daughter isn't allowed to do now.

spring springtime                               

nojomommy07
by on Apr. 18, 2009 at 1:33 PM

I think this is the case in a lot of families...I've seen it in my own.  I have 4 boys and 1 girl....and I can almost guarantee, she will be over-protected...not just by me, but by her brother's as well.  She's the middle child...smack dab in the middle of two boys on either side of her.  I'm going to try my best to give her breathing space when she gets older, but I can't guarantee anything.  It's taken me a LONG time to give my teenager space to breathe...I'm pretty over-protective.  :)

Mommyx308
by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 11:06 AM

I know my brother got away with much more than I did as a teenager. I had very strict rules and got in trouble if I was even 5 minutes late. My brother crashed his brand new truck, got an underage DUI and didn't even get a slap on the wrist. (And my parents paid for his lawyer)!

MomIWant
by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Yep - I think boys have more leniency than girls.  We over-protected and worried about my daughter waaaaaayyyyy more than we do our son.  I usually think in feminist terms (i.e. equal pay for equal work, anything a man can do so can a women, etc.) but when it came to my daughter - protection overruled.  The reality is she was more vulnerable than my son...she's a tiny 5' 100lb girl....he's a 6' 200lb boy...there are more dangers in the world for her than him. 

Believe me, my dd has never wasted an opportunity to point out how lenient we are with her brother over her...and tells me all the time that it will be different in her home.  Maybe it will, but the world will need a lot of changing before she has teens. LOL

LexsiesMommy
by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 3:04 PM

I dont where it comes into play...but yes.....there is alot more leniency...with teen boys than girls....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN