Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Lucky for them my dh is a good person and not a kidnapper, rapist or serial killer. Long but important.

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2009 at 11:31 PM
  • 7 Replies

Lucky for them my dh isn't a kidnapper, rapist or serial killer. Long but important.

We live on a 79 acre farm with the nearest neighbor being a mile away. Well last night at about 9 I'm taking a bath and the dogs start going crazy outside. Well my dh goes outside to see what all the barking is about thinking that one of the cows are out or a deer ran through the yard.

Not so, 2 young girls are climbing under the barbed wire that keep the cows where they are supposed to be. He asks them if they need help. They say their 4 wheeler is stuck and can he help them, it's about a 1/4 mile away in the woods that's on our property. Being a good person and a Dad of a 17 and 12 year old girl he says yes. It's getting dark so he gets out the flash lights and the 3 of them go into the woods to get the 4 wheeler.

They aren't able to get it out so they all come back and call his buddy who comes down with a tractor and tow chain. Now it's dark but the four of them go up get the 4 wheeler. This time they are able to get it out. The girls say thanks because they weren't supposed to be off their property (they were only 14) and if they had gotten stuck  and come back without it they would have been in trouble.

Well my dh and his buddy (also a family guy with a 16y/o daughter) start talking and realize what has just happened. These girls were so lucky they ended up here. They went into the woods with 2 men not knowing who or what they were. You would think in the world we live in now parents would talk to their kids about stranger danger. These girls were more afraid of getting in trouble for leaving their property then what could have happened to them if they met up with the wrong people.

Needless to say I sat my girls down and had a long talk with them. I know this was long but hopefully it will cause another mom to have the same chat with their child.

by on Apr. 19, 2009 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Woozlfreak
by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 9:24 AM

I'm surprised at the number of parents that drop their kids off at my house without meeting me and doing a walk-thru first. They even do it with my preteen's friends. I need to be friends with parents first before I just drop my children off with them.

jerzeetomato
by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Wow - what a thought provoking post.  I always stress the importance of not going with strangers or trusting anyone you just don't know, but a situation like that never crossed my mind.  Will definitely have to make sure my kids understand that no matter what, they should always call home for help in the event of something like that, no matter how much trouble they think they're in.  They might find worse trouble without even realizing it.

I always make sure that when my kids go to a friends house, I know the parents and check things out.  They don't always like it or understand it, but they know they are not going otherwise. 

Jodanro
by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 9:53 AM

For me.....that would be my worst nightmare!  Honestly, I don't know what most parents are thinking these days.  Most are so complacent and trusting that it won't ever "happen to them".  I just pray that it never does.

summerdayz
by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 11:27 AM

I think kids know about how to keep themselves safe, but when something happens, they lose their brain cells.  It's the same with internet safety. I think all kids know how to be safe on the internet, but very few are actually being safe.

I remember a few years ago watching a show on tv about stranger danger. There was a group of parents who allowed the show to use their children in stranger danger situations.  They used situations like "can you help me find my puppy" and other things like that. Every single one of the kids fell for it, and if it had been real life situations with a pedophile, those kids would have been gone !!!

The parents were horrified that their kids did not recall anything they were taught about stranger danger, and they all said their kids would never fall for it. But they all did.

spring springtime                               

athenax3
by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 11:41 AM

That IS really shocking! I have always told my girls, there is NOTHING more important to me than your safety- don't take foolish risks for silly reasons or material things- but I'm going to tel lthem again today when they get home from school- because reading this made me cringe inside.

nojomommy07
by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 12:17 PM

It's definitely something to think about.  But one good thing for those girls - they are SO incredibly lucky that there are still good people out there like your dh and his friend.  They deserve a ton of kudos for helping those girls out.  So many people don't want to get involved.  As for the girls...they are extremely fortunate that something horrible didn't happen to them, not just from predators of the human variety, but just things that could happen to them out in the woods in the dark.  I'm truly hoping that their parents sat them down when they got back (obviously late) and talked to them about obeying rules and not leaving their property.

runner231
by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Thank goodness for your good DH but it is scary to think these girls went with him not knowing who he was. Right now my daughter doesn't go anywhere without me and only goes to friends that I know the parents. One thing I plan to talk to her again about before she starts high school. I have to meet the parents before she can go to someone's house and the parent must be home.

Natalieyellow ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN