Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you "Fill up" a 17 YO son??

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 8:20 PM
  • 16 Replies

I swear he is our human garbage disposal.  I am at a loss on how we can keep feeding him.  We are on a tight budget and it is getting harder and harder to keep up with his never ending appetite.  We have even tried making him drink Milk with dinner and bread thinking it would help fill him up.  But it does nothing to him.  We have tried telling him thathe really is full and he just keeps eating out of boredom.  But he swears he is still hungry...he is not over weight, actually he is on the thin side.  So now we make him drink milk with every meal, eat a salad before dinner, and eat some sort of bread product with dinner...I would love to hear your advice on how you cope with your sons appettites?

by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 8:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goldilocks70
by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 8:52 PM

I have 2 kids that have an unmatched metabolism.  I keep alot of fruit, even canned fruit when it's out of season.  Noodles are a great "filler", potatoes, peanut butter sandwiches.  Bean and cheese burritoes are a great filler and snack. 

Maybe, if you can afford it, get some slim fast stuff for his milk.  I was a bottomless pit when I was pregnant and the doctor told me to drink that in between meals, it helped alot.  Popcorn is good too.  I would try to stay away from empty calorie foods, because they will make him hungrier more often.  We spend about 1000 to 1200 a month on groceries a month.  I have a house full with 7 people.  I cook like I am feeding an army and we can get at least 2 nights out of 1 dinner.

my_three_sons
by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 8:53 PM

My son is 13 and I swear this boy will eat anything not nailed down!!! He is also VERY active and right on target for his weight. I have just started giving him FiberPlus bars and Fiber One bars...it seems to help him not eat so much.

KatCh
by on Apr. 21, 2009 at 9:52 AM

People laugh when I tell them I'm at a different supermarket or store everyday, but I'm not kidding. My boys are always hungry. I pretty much humor them by keeping my cabinets and fridge stocked while trying not to pay attention to how much $$ it's costing me. I have noticed that their appetites come in spurts. My 14 yr old has slowed down significantly. Unfortunately, my 16 yr old seems to have picked up the slack. I've noticed that anything with fiber, like wheat bread or granola bars, will keep my kids full longer. 

2protectivemom
by on Apr. 21, 2009 at 10:22 AM

I cook lots of Pasta, but I make sure it is whole wheat, not white so it does a better job of filling you up.  You can add things like black beans to the ground meat you cook for tacos or burritos.  Things with a lot of fiber fill you up better.  I am always cooking things like beans, lentils, barley, and if he drinks a glass of water with it it helps even more. 

jerzeetomato
by on Apr. 21, 2009 at 11:27 AM

I don't know but when you figure it out could you let me know?  LOL.....seriously, though, my 15 yo son is the same way.  He eats massive amounts of cereal and I can't keep milk in the house.  One thing I found that really helped, especially when he was training for HS soccer season, was "muscle milk" which you can buy premade, or get some whey protein powder you can mix with his milk (I got a bulk bag at the local BJs).  The protein helps keep you full longer, since it takes longer to digestively break down.  Your son might need to eat more high protein foods.  Peanut butter is a good alternative, too, and it sounds like your boy doesn't have to worry about the extra fat.

Good luck!

christyg
by on Apr. 21, 2009 at 5:26 PM

One of the few things I have found that will keep my boys full for a little while is the Lean Pockets....they like the BBQ and the meatball the most. ~~ I think it's kinda ironic that this group is sponsored by Hot Pockets, but they are a really good choice for us!

I also keep a lot of the "Jolly Time Healthy Pop" around...they can each eat an entire bag every day and I don't freak out!

christyg
by on Apr. 21, 2009 at 11:35 PM

I was thinking about this post today when my 2 teens and 2 of their friends were raiding the kitchen..lol!

Two other things that I always try to keep for the boys is 1.) Instant oatmeal in the jumbo pack from Costco and 2.) Tortillas and canned refried beans (shredded cheese and sour cream if I'm feeling generous)

Both are really inexpensive and seem to satisy for at least a little while......Of course, they make at least 2 packs of oatmeal or 2 burritos at a time =)

SherriX2
by on Apr. 22, 2009 at 2:21 AM

I had 2 teenage boys at home eating me out of house & home 

My youngest brother, man you couldnt fill him up. He ate so much food but didnt gain way. Guess why? He had a tapeworm that had made it way to his lungs and he coughed it up (while out to eat with his girlfriend and a bunch of their friends)...........Gross!!

Wyndi
by on Apr. 22, 2009 at 6:50 AM

we have a DD that eats twice as much as DS. we don't complain about her appetite, she's a recovering anorexic.

I keep lots of high fiber foods around for them to snack on.  

http://www.cafemom.com/group/PushMe  come here for your motivational needs
http://www.cafemom.com/group/time4kids the place for one on one time with your kids.
http://www.cafemom.com/group/BluntConfessions the place to be, the place to confess all your darkest secrets

brandim
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Wow! Thanks so much for your input.  I am going to try some of these ideas.  I already try the oatmeal thing and he makes 6 packets at once.  Which leaves 2 packets a peice from the box for my other 2 kids.  That really irritates me...But....I am going to try today the tortilla w/refried beans b/c I know he loves that kind of stuff.

We already use the fiber one bars and he literally sits and eats the whole box...so thats a no go ...but I love all of your ideas, I am going to committ to trying 2 new ones every few days till I find one that works! LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)