Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The internet

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2009 at 10:09 PM
  • 10 Replies

I was wondering if there are certain Internet sites that you do not allow your children to go on?  If you use any type of parent controls and if so what are they?  How long do you let your children stay on the Internet in one day?

There has been so much talk about the Internet lately that I thought I would ask.  I can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

In His service,

Brenda

by on Apr. 21, 2009 at 10:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SherriX2
by on Apr. 22, 2009 at 2:25 AM

There was a post about this a few days ago and someone posted a link to  place that tracked your kids internet sites. I'll see if I can find it

summerdayz
by on Apr. 22, 2009 at 7:38 AM

My son (16) just plays his online game, and my daughter (14) only checks out her myspace. So I don't worry about this. Good luck, I hope you find the info you need.

spring springtime                               

coridunn
by on Apr. 22, 2009 at 9:07 AM

My son rarely goes on the Internet but when he does it's only to play games and I have Verizon Security suite so if he tries to go on any website that I have not placed on the list then it pops up a box that requires me to come to the computer and put in a password.  i have those on my TV's too.

Dawn0522
by on Apr. 22, 2009 at 9:12 AM

We have our computer in an open area and it's set up so he can't access adult sites.

Mommyx308
by on Apr. 22, 2009 at 10:20 AM

I posted about this a few days ago. Check it out!!

Woozlfreak
by on Apr. 22, 2009 at 10:38 AM

I usually let my kids go where ever online, but I'm always wary of YouTube.  There's just too much crazy stuff on that site. If I'm standing there and they are looking for something specific it's okay. But no surfing YouTube!

luckied
by on Apr. 22, 2009 at 4:41 PM

I let my son pretty much go where he wants, he knows what he is not supposed to be looking at.  We can track anything he does with our internet provider, but I use Earthlink because there parental controls are very user friendly. 

aunt_shel
by on Apr. 22, 2009 at 6:39 PM

My son only looks at his myspace page....other than that unless it is for school he has to ask permission first... 

tracylynnr67
by on Apr. 22, 2009 at 9:44 PM

Mine are 17 and 18 and after us being online for 13 years (since they were 4 and, they know where they can and can't go online. We do have some safety nets up but not because we don't trust them. My anti-virus program has specific parental controls that we have set up to keep our computer safe. I don't want anyone going anywhere by accident, it's very easy to do if you are doing a search for something because "those kind" of sites purposely trick people to get traffic.

4LifeTupperware
by on Apr. 22, 2009 at 10:24 PM
Well I have a 14 year old daughter that is on the computer and a 10 year old son. All of the computers are in the living room, and kitchen area, and I am always around 98% of the time.

We have had tiny bit of trouble, so I now use the Norton safety, I got it free from CafeMom a few months back to try it out. It's cool, works well... Your child logs in, and it will blocks sites that are not of age, or that you want, it logs every site they are on, and you can say how many hours a week/day you want them on the computer.

My 14 year old sometimes is on for 2 hours a day, most times not more than a hour unless it's for school work. She has a facebook, as I will NOT allow to be myspace. They are not allowed to even go and see there friends myspace. I also know ALL her log in names, and passwords, if she changes them she is off the computer even for school for 3 months, and then has to earn it back. never had to go that far. I check her email too, and all her friends on facebook also has to be my friends, just a way that we check on what they are talking about and things.
We haven't had any trouble at all

My 10 year old is on facebook with family only, and he likes to play the games on there.

My 3 year old play once in a blue moon on PBSkids

Melanie, Wife for 15 years and a Mom, to 14 year old daughter, 10 year old son, 3 year old son, 14 month old son and two angel babies that would also be 14 months old "Only one life, will soon be passed, only what's done for Christ will last." 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)