Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Hair Staightening

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2009 at 2:46 PM
  • 28 Replies

She is my step daughter, but I love her like I do my own children, but we have an ongoing argument about her straightening her hair every day.  I say that she is going to ruin it and she seems to think she isn't (I know "know-it-all teenager").  So mama's who is right?   Her or I?  When she doesn't straighten her hair she has the prettiest wavy hair but she seems to think that it isn't at all pretty. 

Just a small edit to this post...I see now where I put that we have an ongoing argument and where you ladies may think that is all we do is fight about her hair.  We DO NOT fight about her hair.  It is her hair and she will straighten it until she decides she wants to try something different.  My step daughter and I have a great relationship and her hair is a very small and trivial thing to argue about.  I guess I just worded my post wrong.

by on Apr. 24, 2009 at 2:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gabyangy
by Member on Apr. 24, 2009 at 2:48 PM

I have two teenage daughter who do this every day.  As long as they put some kind of conditioning treatment before doing it, it will be fine. 

ddbz
by on Apr. 24, 2009 at 3:22 PM

It's her hair.

If she wants to ruin it, then that is her right.

My dd is the same way; she's been straightening it for a few years now, and she has a lot of fried hair, but it's her hair not mine, so I'm leaving it up to her.

Also, your SD might have strong hair and be fine anyway.

sheila771
by on Apr. 24, 2009 at 3:29 PM

I think you are right to be worried about her hair, but if you don't give them a chance to make mistakes of their own they won't have anything to learn from. Just make sure you get her a good conditioner for her hair. We have enough as mothers to worry about without adding more.

officefan01
by on Apr. 24, 2009 at 3:48 PM

I straighten mine everyday and my hair is as healthy as can be! 

I say, pick your battles. This seems like a pretty small thing to fight about.

setgirl
by on Apr. 24, 2009 at 4:13 PM

not to sound harsh but if thats ALL you 2 argue about at that age then by all means let the girl straighten her hair...there are enough products she can use to keep her hair healthy.

mommy5
by on Apr. 24, 2009 at 6:18 PM

My daughter does this and her hair is very healthy I like to straighten mine but it takes to long its a pain only special occasions do I get the chance.

busykids
by on Apr. 24, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Yes everyday heat will ruin your hair, but you know how teenagers are, she will learn one day.

4EverAMommy
by on Apr. 24, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Ohhh we don't argue or fight about it.  I realize that is a stupid thing to fight with her about and she does straighten it every day.  I was just wondering if it was bad for her hair or not.  She and I have a good relationship, she just has pretty hair and I don't want her to ruin it.   

krisr169
by on Apr. 24, 2009 at 6:47 PM

I worry a bit about that too, my daughter straightens hers every day as well.  I don't get it, it's straight anyway!  But, she conditions and takes care of her hair very well so I just let it go. 

mystica97
by on Apr. 24, 2009 at 7:33 PM

my humble opinion is to get her some redken heat glide and let it go. I straighten my hair frequently, on top of coloring it to an inch of it's life and my hair is actually extremely healthy. If she takes care of it, it should not be an issue. (I'm also well-trained in the art of keeping hair in good health:)

I agree with alot of the pp's... it really IS a matter of picking your battles. My middle son has the most gorgeous, thick blond hair you've ever seen. He is hellbent on making it straight down his head, he looks like the Little Dutch Boy on the paint can. He refuses to listen to me or anyone else on that one.. I had to let the argument go. It's not worth it, and more than anything he is trying to show that he's going to do what HE likes with HIS hair. Don't feed into it, and you may just see things change when the opposition is gone. Kinda like tugging on both sides of a door.. someone falls when you stop pulling:)

Good luck.. just make sure you let her know she is beautiful to you no matter what she does with her hair:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)