Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Did you "Connect " with your parents as a teen?

Posted by on May. 3, 2009 at 9:50 AM
  • 23 Replies

My parents did a lot for us as kids, but I do not think i ever really had a connection with them.  My mom mostly got on my nerves at times and my dad was ALWAYS working. I kept a lot of things from her, I was promiscuous and I snuck out of the house at night, I drank at parties and got high a time or two, she has no idea to this day even.  I kinda resent her at times because she put in in dance and piano and all these activities she never got to do and she really missed the most important lesson to teach me...to be independent.  She mostly taught me how to be well liked and how to be a good wife... so to speak. My parents divorced my senior year so there was not really any pressure for me to go to college. I love my mom and I see her every couple of weeks and she helps me with my younger kids, but I think we missed the connection when I was a teen.  I never tell her how I felt. I wonder how my teens REALLY feel about me sometimes.... ya know?  did you connect with your parents a teen?

by on May. 3, 2009 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SHELL28
by on May. 3, 2009 at 10:50 AM

no i didn't connect. i feel like i really didn't know my parents until yrs later. i think after my brother was murdered i began seeing them differently and we would talk more. As a teen i felt unloved. I worry about my kiddos feeling the same way. 

Ksant
by on May. 3, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Nope we didn't connect at all. I do wish I had a better relationship with my parents, mom especially as she recently passed and I never got to really know her. I try to connect with my girls but it is really tough.  It is probably too late for my 18 yr old and I and that relationship is effecting my relationship with the 13 yr old.

damira
by on May. 3, 2009 at 11:39 AM

In a way...i had a lot of secrets, but at the same time i wasn't afraid to tell her a lot.  It was sort of like "don't ask, don't tell"

lynn63042
by on May. 3, 2009 at 12:38 PM

I do not think it is too late... just try to listen more when you can, they are always trying to tell us something we just need to focus in and let them know we are listening... hugs and good luck

Quoting Ksant:

Nope we didn't connect at all. I do wish I had a better relationship with my parents, mom especially as she recently passed and I never got to really know her. I try to connect with my girls but it is really tough.  It is probably too late for my 18 yr old and I and that relationship is effecting my relationship with the 13 yr old.

summerdayz
by on May. 3, 2009 at 10:38 PM

I had (and still have) really good parents, but my mother never talked to me the way I talk to my daughter, and vice versa. So I guess I would say we kind of connected, but kind of didn't.

spring springtime                               

my3babes
by on May. 4, 2009 at 12:19 AM

I never connected with my dad at all..well he is actually my stepdad since I was about 4 yrs old.  He never seemed to want me around nor did he ever have a good word for me so I just ignored him as much as I could. My mom divorced him when I was 14 & I couldn't have been happier our lives were so much easier. As for my mom we connected as much as she could with me but being the oldest of six kids she really didn't have alot of time to give me but she was always great to me, my brothers & sisters. I just wish we had been able to talk like I do with my kids.

marisab
by on May. 9, 2009 at 9:01 AM

connected with my dad but i never felt close to my mom and i resent that cause we lost out by not having a relationship.she was 2 busy being "the cool mom"and i hate dtaht. 

SherriX2
by on May. 9, 2009 at 10:53 PM

I did not connect with my parents as a teen, but we are now.

Its never to late.

Someone wrote that their mom was always trying to be the cool mom,can you explain more about this? i want to make sure I dont make that mistake. 

Kris265
by on May. 10, 2009 at 12:36 AM

Nope, no parent connections. I had 3 step dads and the last one I didn't really trust til almost college. He was awesome, though. Mum..well, I love her, but there is a reason I am in Oregon and she is in Alaska. Speaking of which, I have to go and call her! We rarely chat, kinda odd...my husband's mom would call every Sunday night since we got married..twenty years ago. He is an only. Now that we are in the same town, she doesn't call, but he goes up and checks on them almost every day. (she is in late 70's and his dad is 84..he was born late in their marriage). Anyway, as for my mum...we connect better now we are all grown up. Or at least, mostly grown. LOL.

Ewadun
by on May. 10, 2009 at 8:37 AM

No, I didn't connect with my parents as a teen. My parents divorced when I was 9 years old. Prior to that, my Father was in and out alot and my Mother ignored me when I told her that I was being raped daily by the babysitter. As a result, I too, became a very promiscuous teen, drank, got high, snuck out nights and yet somehow managed to maintain the honor roll throughout most of my highschool years. Mom kicked me out at 17 and I wrote her a 15 page hate letter on Mother's Day. I understand she still has it and I'm now 47.

Unlike my Mother, who treated her kids like plants (gave us food, water, shelter, clothes and sunshine), I've taken a lot more time in knowing my kids, their interests and their friends. Can't say I'm the greatest Mom but I feel a connection with mine somewhat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)