Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Teenage boys with attitude

Posted by on May. 4, 2009 at 11:02 PM
  • 13 Replies

I have a 14 year old son , who always seems to have an attitude, and looks at me like I am speaking another language when I am talking to him.  Does anyone else experience this or has in the past?  How long does it last?

by on May. 4, 2009 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
threeBoysMommy
by on May. 5, 2009 at 8:59 AM

OMG I am going through this NOW! My son is 14 and I swear he thinks I am from another planet! He drives me up the wall. One second all is good, the wind could change and he is the angery teenage monster. I have NO clue what to do. Sometimes I just want to shake him and get the monster out..... is it still shaken baby when they are 14? I am to the point where I sit in my room when he comes home, I hide from him so I dont have to deal with his moods.... any help from moms with grown tweens???

jerzeetomato
by on May. 5, 2009 at 9:22 AM

I can tell you it does start to get better - my boy is now 15 and winding up his freshman year in high school - he still looks at me sometimes like I'm from another planet, but the moodiness is easing up.  Puberty is a b!#ch, but this too, shall pass.  Just remember - do not avoid the unpleasantness but deal with it - make sure he knows what will and will not be tolerated.  I repeatedly told my son if he was moody, irritable or in a funk and he didn't feel like talking, that was ok, but he needed to say so and be respectful.  No unnecessary yelling/disrespect - if he forgets that rule, he loses privileges - usually his video games that's where it hits the hardest!

2protectivemom
by on May. 5, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Mine went through that, it passed quickly.  He grew sooooo fast at that time and everytime he would start with the attitude, we would just say something like, " Well your grouchy, you must be growing again."  or "Let's go measure you, you must be growing because you're awful moody."  It always seemed to bring him out of his funk when we'd go measure him and he was taller.  Their bodies are going through so many changes, you just have to understand that that is primarily what is causing it and if it's not too bad, figure out a way to change the mood.  Make him his favorite cookies, or something like that.  Just remember, "This too shall pass." 

MrsBLB
by on May. 5, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Thanks momma!

Quoting 2protectivemom:

Mine went through that, it passed quickly.  He grew sooooo fast at that time and everytime he would start with the attitude, we would just say something like, " Well your grouchy, you must be growing again."  or "Let's go measure you, you must be growing because you're awful moody."  It always seemed to bring him out of his funk when we'd go measure him and he was taller.  Their bodies are going through so many changes, you just have to understand that that is primarily what is causing it and if it's not too bad, figure out a way to change the mood.  Make him his favorite cookies, or something like that.  Just remember, "This too shall pass." 

msorrent
by on May. 5, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Mine is 17 and I still get an attitude everyday.   I thought by now it would get better.  Sometimes I see signs of maturity but it doesn't last long!

canadiangirl5
by on May. 6, 2009 at 8:48 AM

My son went through it as well from the age of 14 until about 6 months ago. Not as bad as some kids I'm told about but enough to get on my nerves. He would just grumble and complain nothing serious. He is turning 16 in two months and that phase seems to be passing - Thank goodness.

brooklyngirl79
by on May. 14, 2009 at 7:14 PM

You sound just like me with the sitting in the room comment..lol

Quoting threeBoysMommy:

OMG I am going through this NOW! My son is 14 and I swear he thinks I am from another planet! He drives me up the wall. One second all is good, the wind could change and he is the angery teenage monster. I have NO clue what to do. Sometimes I just want to shake him and get the monster out..... is it still shaken baby when they are 14? I am to the point where I sit in my room when he comes home, I hide from him so I dont have to deal with his moods.... any help from moms with grown tweens???

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2009 at 9:01 PM

it lasted 3to 6 weeks.It started  with the Mouth and the mom is stupid attitude ! It took me about 3 weeks to come up with a plan.Here what I did.~~~~~

he was put in his room ~the door, the stereo and everything was removed. he was left with a pile of boooks.He was allowed out for school, dinner(only if he could talk respectiully) and bathroom breaks.It was a long 3 weeks but he learned alot about himslef and respect.

SherriX2
by on May. 17, 2009 at 2:37 AM

You are telling me it ends? I'm been waiting for it to end for about 3 years now. I know as soon as it ends with my DS, my DD will start up.She has just starting to roll her 9 year old eyes at me :( 

LaniGirl72
by on May. 17, 2009 at 4:31 AM

OH DEAR! I'm going through this stage right now! My son just turned 15 and doesn't even speak to us unless he wants or needs something. He won't even say "HI' or "I'm home" when he comes in from school. Just goes straight to his room, fridge and asks if there's anything to eat. I try to connect with him, asking him how things are in school, what his friends are like, how things are coming along with his drawings and he acts like i'm invading his space. I don't even know how to handle this. If you find a way, PLEASE let me know! 

Want an AWESOME siggy or tag like mine? Come join Signature Obsession today!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN