Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Does your teenager have a cell phone and who pays the bill?

Posted by   + Show Post

My oldest will be allowed to have a cell phone in a few months and she is 16 and able to drive. I think it's important that she have one then. But we are still trying to figure out what restrictions to put on it and how to keep the bill down.

How do other parents handle this?

by on May. 6, 2009 at 8:03 AM
Replies (21-27):
threeBoysMommy
by on May. 7, 2009 at 8:35 AM

My teen has a cell phone and its prepaid. I pay the bill monthly... pay as you go. He does chores around the house to "make" the money. He is only 14 and can not get a real job.

My 7 year old has a cell phone also.... a prepaid.... again I pay the bill.

They have the phones for school issues. Although both love to text their friends.

canadiangirl5
by on May. 7, 2009 at 9:43 AM

My son is 15 and has had a cell for a couple of years now. We pay the bill. He has 300 minutes a month and never goes over that. He also has a limited amount of texts as well. He is really good about staying at the limit. I wouldn't feel comfortable with him going out with no way to contact us.

aprncess
by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:32 AM

Yes she does, we have a family plan and we pay it!  So far so good, she has been responsible with it, I just hope that continues!  I started out by giving her a Kajeet phone, where I could block out time periods, and restricted numbers, it was a pay as you go kind of plan.  Since she handled it so well for about 3 years, I eventually put her on my family plan.

wvnative
by on May. 8, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Of course she does. lol She's had one since she was about 10. That's when she started walking to/from school without an adult.

Currently she and I share a family plan with unlimited texting. It's well worth that extra $20 a month for unlimited texting. She's never gotten in trouble with it at school and she's never lost one. She did wear out her Razor though. lol When she works, she pays half the bill. She uses the vast majority of our minutes after all and it's cheaper than her getting her own plan. When she doesn't work, I pay it. We don't have a landline so our cell phones are a must.

momoftwins240
by on May. 8, 2009 at 4:02 PM

My step-son got one when he was 14 or 15 (he's 17 now).  We pay for him to be on our plan, it's $10 more per month.  He was begging and begging for texting and we said NO! It's a phone if you have something to say to someone call them and say it.  Well the older he got the more he begged.  We finally told him that if he wanted texting he had to pay for it.  It costs $20 per month with our provider.  And we further told him that if he neglected to put that $20 bill in our hand at the beginning of each month that we would turn texting off.  So far so good.  He has been paying, but we've only had it a couple of months so it remains to be seen if his responsible behavior will continue.  Typically it doesn't.  We also told him that we would turn it off if he got caught texting during classtime at school.

My two step-daughters will be 14 in July and we will be adding them to our plan as well and giving them cell phones as their birthday gift.  The same rules will apply to them with regard to getting caught using it during school.

I personally think that they are all too young to have cell phones but my partner is a horrible worrier and always wants to be able to contact them when they are out somewhere, just to make sure they are okay. 

ohmommamia
by on May. 8, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Both of my teens have cell phones and we pay the bill.  I think it is convenient for me because they can call me when I need to pick them up when they have after school events or go on school trips.  They have both had them since middle school.  My daughter is now 16 and she uses hers to keep in touch with me when she is out. 

Kris265
by on May. 9, 2009 at 3:24 AM

We finally got rid of our Verizon family plan. We had two phones and scads of minutes we did NOT ever use. The most we used them was when our son was home from the army in December and he had one. We are on trac phones now and our youngest (15) rarely uses it. He did call me at lunch the other day to say he was bored! LOL.

It makes me laugh to see two kids talking to each other when they are less than 50 feet apart. Cell phones have deteriorated our communication skills...and our spelling!!!! lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)