Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

give your teen a foot , and they take a mile.

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 6:42 PM
  • 4 Replies

its our town fest this week end my teens have been there fri, sat and today fri, i let them stay until 11 last night 10 and today i told them 7 well fri went good sat they called can i stay out until 1030 oh and yes we had words over the phone they were haome at 10 and then again today at 630 my 14 year old just called can i have until 8 i said no we have a bomb fire to go to that is it and i told them this whole weekend no monday , and he just asked me on the phone well then can i go back again tomorrow because he just won a bunch of tokens , I TOLD HIM TO CASH THEM IN>

angiebooboo

by on May. 24, 2009 at 6:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
summerdayz
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Quoting Angiebooboo:

its our town fest this week end my teens have been there fri, sat and today fri, i let them stay until 11 last night 10 and today i told them 7 well fri went good sat they called can i stay out until 1030 oh and yes we had words over the phone they were haome at 10 and then again today at 630 my 14 year old just called can i have until 8 i said no we have a bomb fire to go to that is it and i told them this whole weekend no monday , and he just asked me on the phone well then can i go back again tomorrow because he just won a bunch of tokens , I TOLD HIM TO CASH THEM IN>

A bomb fire ? Or do you mean a bonfire ?

I can understand kids wanting to stay longer because their friends are there and the town fest doesn't happen all the time, and I'm sure they are having a good time.  But this is the third day he's been there, so I'd probably say that's enough already.  What about your other kids, are they wanting to stay longer and go tomorrow too, or is it just your 14 yr old ?

spring springtime                               

PhillyinFrance
by on May. 25, 2009 at 8:10 AM

I have a whole different take on this.  As long as they have earned it (i.e for me that equates to good grades in school and all around good behaviour, no major hiccups), I pretty much let them stay til when most of their friends stay (again, assuming you have no issues with those friends), assuming we have no specific plans that night or next day.  If that is the case, then I explain that limit way in advance.

My kids know that I am their biggest supporter/defender/friend on such issues as long as they walk the line in school and other major behaviours (i.e. like anyting for which the school would call me, smoking, etc.).   Now that they have gotten a taste of having such social freedom (don't you remember how it is never enough!!), you can't imagine the control it gives me - it's an all or nothing deal, and i see the panic in their eyes if I tell them (even months before) that if they let me down, I'll let them down.   On the other hand, if they go, I tell them they earned it... cause I know I can trust them to continue behaving even at such fest.

madhouseof5
by on May. 25, 2009 at 11:00 AM

The same things happening here

my 13 year old son has just started going out with his own mates, he does go to clubs and groups
Or with his older brothers,  but this weekend has been his first on his own

We said he could go into town Where he got into a fight Well he says it was a play fight But he came home with up to 5 bite marks all over his arms

The on Sunday he said could he go around to his girl friends house So said yes but he had to be home for Tea about 5pm
He phoned me at 4.30pm and said he had been asked to stay for tea there so said yes he could but had to be home at 9pm

He did not get in until 10.15pm he was covered in make-up and had black nail varnish on too!!

Well after cleaning  him up He said the girls did it as a laugh Told him he had to be home when i said the next time he went anywhere

So today I have said hes to be home at 4pm NOW And hes still not here

so fingers crossed hes not late or hes grounded for  Week
I have told him to take his phone with but hes left it on the table so not able to get hold of him

Still waiting for him

UK.gif UK image by xxx_qui_xxxMade_in_England1.gif made in england image by sumayah2003UK.gif UK image by rommel_phthunitedkingdom.gif uk image by alisonjohn
Wyndi
by on May. 25, 2009 at 1:04 PM

this past year my 14 yr old started going to a church sponsered event 2 blocks from our house. He's been late once time and we dealt with it. He has to check in with us every 2 hours and let me know if he goes to someone's house.

He knows if he messes up, he will spend the weekend home with us.

Yesterday he got invited to go swimming with friends so thats where he is today. He gave up most of his weekend to help get the house cleaned for yesterday's Indy 500 BBQ party. Today was his reward!

He just has to be home by 8 pm (curfew on a school night). He's really good about calling if he's going to be late (1 time and it was because of a bank robbery and the library was on lock down while the police did a door to door search). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)