Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tears because of teachers.

Posted by on May. 29, 2009 at 3:45 PM
  • 3 Replies

I am so upset. Most of my experience with teachers has been totally positive. Just this one makes me so mad. My son plays a bari sax and is VERY good (I am not just saying that cuz I am  the mom!). In his previous school he earned an award for his playing and was a part of the Jazz band. We moved to a new school and the band is small..and has 2 bari sax players now and no jazz band (they used to have it, but the teacher is too busy for it) and I have been trying to get lessons for my son so that he can get better..but there really is no point in this school. They do not do competitions or other such specials, they tour once every 4 years and all the money raised in the 4 years goes to the one tour (even if the kid is a freshman this year and cannot go because in 4 years they will be graduated). The kids are not really encouraged to excel unless they play a certain instrument (it is a school that specializes in one thing) and I have been crying because of something stupid.

I posted two photos of the band to my blog and was reamed because of it. I should not have done that without permission and besides, I am  not a professional. Now, I KNOW that kids should not be on the net. I did NOT put any names other than the school and my son. I never put names online.  It makes me mad because if someone posted a cell phone shot to myspace that would be ok..but I get in trouble. The very worst part is that this is a teeny town and now my son is going to have to stay in that class for 3 more  years and I only hope the teacher does not take out his frustration with me on my son. The teacher already thinks my son is heading for trouble because he is alone all the time. (he does not have too many friends, he has lots of acquaintances). Thankfully, he is the only teacher who feels that way. Others have said that my son is a loner, not alone and one said my son reminded him of  himself as a student in hschool.

Anyway, I am just upset and thank you for reading. Upon re reading this, I need to say that my son will get to go on the tour this year, but still has to raise money for the next one in 4 years.

by on May. 29, 2009 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
nojomommy07
by on May. 29, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Unless they tell you you cannot do anything like that, they can't tell you to take it down.  They are your personal pictures.  And if the teacher DOES try and take frustrations out (and why on earth would he over a few pictures??) perhaps you need to speak to his or her higher ups.  Just because your son is quiet does not mean he's headed for trouble...and that insinuation can be slander.  I had a first grade teacher tell my son he would be a serial killer when he picked up a stray penny on the floor....that teacher no longer teaches in our district.  Don't back down, and make sure they know that you will not let them try and hold your son down simply because he's not the popular kid.  Don't be upset, but I do understand.  They should be ashamed of themselves for acting in such a way towards a student and parent.  Keep us updated!

GrandmaConnieS
by on May. 29, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Quoting nojomommy07:

Unless they tell you you cannot do anything like that, they can't tell you to take it down.  They are your personal pictures.  And if the teacher DOES try and take frustrations out (and why on earth would he over a few pictures??) perhaps you need to speak to his or her higher ups.  Just because your son is quiet does not mean he's headed for trouble...and that insinuation can be slander.  I had a first grade teacher tell my son he would be a serial killer when he picked up a stray penny on the floor....that teacher no longer teaches in our district.  Don't back down, and make sure they know that you will not let them try and hold your son down simply because he's not the popular kid.  Don't be upset, but I do understand.  They should be ashamed of themselves for acting in such a way towards a student and parent.  Keep us updated!

I totally agree! Well-said!

Kris265
by on May. 30, 2009 at 12:25 AM

I talked to my son after school and found out that the teacher talked to the band today about videos and photos online of the band trip they are going on. They are not to post them. Jon said lots of the kids thought it was dumb and they prolly will do it anyway. He also said they all signed release forms at the start of the year for publicity (I am thinking for papers and stuff, the band is really flashy and does a lot of high profile performances) so the talking to was really dumb. My son also agrees that the photos are my own and I should not listen to the teacher. Me, I am still upset and stayed away from the HS graduation tonight so the teacher would not see me and weeded. You know  how many weeds one can weed when one is grumpy??? A lot!simple smile

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)