Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Need some advice on 14 year old son

Posted by   + Show Post

My son started doing weights and all that leads up to playing football. They just started doing 2 a days on monday and he just quit this morning. Our little motto we have is, once you start a sport you need to finish it. Granted he never wanted to play, he did anyway to make his dad happy. I'm sorry, but if your head and heart are not in the game then don't do it. My husband does not look at it that way. You gotta try everything at least once. When he told his dad that he had quit I thought he was gonna fly threw the phone and freak out on him. I was also upset that he had quit, but, we went up to the school and talked with the counselor there and she pretty much agreed that if your head and heart are not in the game that you shouldn't play. My problem is, when dad does come home from work today, everything is going to hit the fan. How can I get my husband and my son to understand each others points.

Christi (Bugsmom23) frustrated 

by on Aug. 19, 2009 at 4:51 PM
Replies (11-11):
tracylynnr67
by on Aug. 31, 2009 at 12:39 AM

I am a football mom. I have had 2-4 sons playing football at once for the last 8 years (3, then 4, then down to 2 when the older 2 were both out of school and still have 2 now, they're seniors this year) and next year it will be just 1 when my youngest is in college and in all honesty, if someone doesn't WANT to play football (or any sport) they shouldn't be forced to do so. Yes, they should find SOMETHING to keep them busy (a sport, drama, volunteer work, a club, something) but they shouldn't be made to play something that they don'tt want to. Also, football can be dangerous to someone who isn't in to it. If they are unsure, uninterested or afraid they can get hurt. I wouldn't make one of mine play if they weren't interested. Your husband may want his son to play but he can't make his son want to play. I think he should allow your son to find something HE is interested in and encourage him with whatever that is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)