Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

getting cut from Sports!!!! How to handle it

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2009 at 2:12 PM
  • 3 Replies

Hello, I have a soon to be 13 year old daughter who just tried out for the schools Field Hockey team and got cut.  She really wanted this and had practiced hard that how I know she really wanted this. She is not a star athlete but she not a bad athete either, she said she will not try out again next year and I can really force her to but would like to encourage her to. I do not really get why they need to cut kids in middle school, to me it does not give them a chance to see if this is something they like or do not like. I undersatnd getting cut in high school. She does not want to try out for anything else. This is such a fargile age. I want her involved and busy with something. She a good kid straight A student, she is herself and not your typicallt tween girl that is in to boys and make up. She likes to be different and be her own person and no cliques either. I was not like that  either. Our school is very sports oriented even though their sports teams are not good. The arts are not promoted, unfortunely. We live in a rural area. How do you encourage your child to try again or something new.

by on Aug. 27, 2009 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2009 at 2:17 PM

That really sucks and I'm sorry you and your daughter are going through it.  The "no child left behind" law doesn't allow our schools (here in TX) to not accept a student who wants to play a sport.  They may not get played in the "top" line up.  But, they have to be accepted to play on the team and have to be played "x" amount of the time throughout the season.  It was the same in MN.  Might check into your state laws. 

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Aug. 30, 2009 at 4:13 AM

Oh wow, we just went through the SAME thing! My dd just started middle school and tried out for the club soccer team in our area. She didn't make it and her two best friends did, it was so hard, and yes, scares me at such a fragile age! We just signed up for Boys and Girls Club volleyball, something totally different from what she has ever tried. What helped the most is that she has a few good friends who signed up as well. Does she have any good friends that are thinking about starting a new activity? That may make it easier for her. It's heartbreaking when you know they have worked so hard and done there best, cut in middle school seem ridiculous to me!!! 

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2009 at 9:08 AM

hugs momma .It is so hard to watch.Its esp hard at that tender age. I would gently try to encourage her to join something else. Maybe she could take up a hobby if not a sport? does her school have a newspaper? maybe she could write for it or take pics.

I bet by next year she will change her mind about trying out for a sport.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)