Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Grew up with Sisters, have a teenage boy

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2009 at 11:05 PM
  • 11 Replies

Boy? He's over 6 feel tall at 13! I don't know much about adolescents and changing voices, cologne, new deoderant, etc...

I get along with my son better than my husband does. Do any of you women find it difficult to raise a teenage boy?

Thanks!

Pam

by on Aug. 27, 2009 at 11:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bugsmom23
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:26 PM

I hear ya on this one. My son is 6'2" and 14. He's at that age where it's "mom don't worry about it" I try and talk to my husband that he needs to talk to him about them man things and he keeps telling me to deal with it. Hate to tell my husband, but if he's gonna be that way, when the girls get a little older and start asking questions, I'll tell them, "go ask your dad" Bet he'll really like that. All I can tell ya is, "GOOD LUCK!!"

HOLLY94
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:33 PM

I grew up with sister's too (I do have brother's but they are 10 and 15 years younger).  My son will be 13 in a few weeks and fell lost sometimes  too.  The best thing that I have learned is to make sure that he knows he can talk to you about anything - and I mean anything.

Remember what boys were like while you were growing up?  Well, the boys are still the same, but they are just our sons now. 

And lastly, our kids are just a younger version of us - they have dreams, desires, and feelings just like we do.  I think that really a more simple task than we as parents make it out to be(because it can be uncomfortable).  Hang in there and do the best you can!

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:45 PM

I grew up with brothers(3) and sisters(2) I have 2 sons. Boys IMHO are much easier.they are Loud and rambunctious.They don't whine, need constant approval like so many  girls.I taught mine pretty much the same things I would teach my Daughter if I had one. Accountability, responsibility, respecf, and my big one INTEGRITY! these are 4 things all people should know, use and show.w IMHO.

Wyndi
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:06 PM

I was married and a mom by the time my brother became a teenager so I missed out on that experience. LOL.

I have a DD (16) and a DS (15). They are polar opposites. DD is shy and DS is outgoing. I just pick my battles with each of them. And make the punishment fit the crime. 

My best advice it to keep the lines of communication open. Talk about general stuff and don't push. Eventually you will know whats going on in his life.

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign
theresa
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:46 PM

There are only three of us in my house and the boys have me out numbered,lol.mine are 6 years apart and I have them at almost adult stage and just beginning teen stage,So when I got one to stop this or that,now I have the other one doing this or that,It is hard being a single mom of two boys,but you gotta love them.I made the oldest one teach the younger one how to pee standing up,lol,cause I haven't a clue,lol.So where I sqrewed up on the older one I let the younger one learn from the older one,lol.how to pee,flert with girls,why is his body doing this and that.big brother tells him,cause he had to learn some things from other male figure,lol.yes I did my best to teach him what I knew,but that can be limitting being female and not know what a boys body is really going through,he is lucky to have such a smart older brother.

Ginger162
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 11:02 PM

I grew up with two sister's. Now I have a 6 foot 13 year old son. He is an only child and only grandchild on his father's side. The only thing I can tell you is that I know what you are going through. The hormones, the back-talking, trying to see how far he can push the boundaries. I try my best to talk, not yell, to him. When I feel myself losing my temper, I try to go to a quiet spot and cool off. 

I

Gingerhugs

bizzeemom2717
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 4:04 AM

Oh yeah, from my experience, 13 was prob the most difficult year. I am an only child, but my dh, is the oldest of 4 boys! My ds is now 16 and 6'3in, about the same size as your ds when he was 13 too. I tend to agree w/ all the ladies above....def. keep the lines of communication open and pick your battles! If your experience is like mine, is gets MUCH easier as they get older, the hormones balance out and they mellow. My son now tends to come to me and not my Hubby when he's having issues with his girlfriend (all new to him, first girl so far) and I find, because I've always tried to be open, he is starting to be open with me as well. Good luck!!!

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Aug. 30, 2009 at 7:56 AM

I don't know yet.....My dd is almost 16 and my sons aren't close to being teens yet. My dd has been pretty easy so far but that could be because I've been there done that. I'm sort of worried about my boys though since I've never been a teenaged boy.LOL. I have an older brother so maybe that will help or maybe it will be dad's turn to deal with the teenagers.

soccermom765
by on Aug. 31, 2009 at 11:21 AM

I grew up with 2 younger sisters, So I was excited to have a boy. He is 16 and almost 6 ft tall. He does have a younger sister. I have found that it is easy with boys. I had always wanted to have a brother so I would know what it was like, but had good friends that were like brothers.

coffee

KatCh
by on Aug. 31, 2009 at 12:53 PM

I grew up with brothers and have two boys, 14 and 16. At times, it's like living with my brothers all over again, except that I'm now in charge and can tell them what to do. I don't know what it's like to have girls, but I have noticed that boys want you to get to the point and tell them straight out what you need to say. They're also louder and sillier, because there are times when I don't get the joke/humor, but everyone else does. They keep to themselves more and it can be tough when you know they have a problem, but they insist on handling it themselves. My boys do confide in me, because their father has a tendency to be judgmental and critical, while I try to be fair and listen without judging, even if I'm cringing on the inside.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN