Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Trouble with teenage daughter

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2009 at 9:50 AM
  • 6 Replies

Am having trouble gettingmy teenage daughter to remeber to do things that to me and my husband seem nomal and everyday. How do I get her to start doing them with out having to feel as if I am going t pull my hair out?

by on Aug. 31, 2009 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
KatCh
by on Aug. 31, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Post-its, nagging, texting...lol. Actually, I wish I knew, because just today, my 16 yr old turned on the tv, had lunch, left the tv on and went to play video games in the basement. Last night, he left everything on in his room and went to take a shower, as if he'd never heard about conserving energy and saving money. I don't know if it's the part of the brain that's still developing that's responsible for common sense, but it's a pain retracing his footsteps to make sure he didn't leave anything on or plugged in. And they give driver's licenses to these same kids who can't remember to do what you asked five minutes ago!

mom2threeGirlys
by on Aug. 31, 2009 at 5:30 PM

I have a 12 year old with her we do post it notes for her to remember things, also we do checklists as well seems to be working

I am a trial and error, cry it out, spanking, formula feeding, vaccinating, sleep in your own bed, put your boobie away in public, tell you how it is, yell at my kids, cookie before bed, love to read, love to paint, let my kids cook, make my kids do chores kinda momma!!!

girl on a swing        teen girl      listening to tunes

Kissa 7                        Ashlee 9                            Taylor 11

Mom2jc
by on Aug. 31, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Good question!  I'm not sure if there are any right answers it's all trial and error.  Someone should give you a manual when you have kids LOL!.  Everyday when my teenage son would take a shower he never remembered to clean up after himself. unless I constantly reminded him. I got sick of it and quit reminding him.  Now if his clothes aren't in the hamper they don't get washed and when he doesn't have any clean clothes to wear he gets very upset. Only had to do this once or twice and he got the message.

Mom2jcladybug

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2009 at 9:27 PM

everytime they leave something on that y9ou need to go shut off you shut it off unplug it and remove it.If its the tv you carry around the clicker so they cant turn it on for a day or so.

things they need to do I make lists and tape them to the comp monitor I KNOW they will see them there. To make it really easy you make up a contract With the child  she/he agrees to do A B C if they dont ehn D E F happens.its a great way to make them do homeowork, projects etc.For my sons it was Miss a Homeowrk asignment Turn in uniform of the sport you are playing.We only had to do it once! they realized I wasnt BSing.Progress reposrts will show missing homework etc.Make them agree sign it make 2 copies have them keep 1 in thier room  where ever You keep one. Problem arises bring it out point out infraction point out what you agreed would happen,then it happens. NO shouting NO yelling they agreed! most of  all NO Nagging .

tsstoys
by on Sep. 1, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Quoting KatCh:

Post-its, nagging, texting...lol. Actually, I wish I knew, because just today, my 16 yr old turned on the tv, had lunch, left the tv on and went to play video games in the basement. Last night, he left everything on in his room and went to take a shower, as if he'd never heard about conserving energy and saving money. I don't know if it's the part of the brain that's still developing that's responsible for common sense, but it's a pain retracing his footsteps to make sure he didn't leave anything on or plugged in. And they give driver's licenses to these same kids who can't remember to do what you asked five minutes ago!

Love the part about the drivers liscense
tsstoys
by on Sep. 1, 2009 at 9:36 AM

I am so glad to hear that my child is normal as she is 12 and acts  just like all your teenagers. :O)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)