Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

I feel so bad for our son. Mean kids SUCK!

Posted by   + Show Post

Daniel is 13. 8th grade. He has ADHD, but does well. He has an IEP, but that doesn't bother him, either. He is overweight and is legally blind without his very thick glasses, but he has dealt very well with both of those issues. One of his legs is a little shorter than the other, due to hip surgery when he was 6. He's good with that, too. He has great friends that keep very busy with him.

Now, the problem. My hubby opened a bike and skateboard shop. He sells AWESOME bikes! Daniel picked one out right away. He was SO excited. All of his friends we so happy for him. He takes very good care of his things, so we were OK with him getting it. It retails for over $420.

Today, some of the "mean kids" started in on him about how his bike looks like a Walmart bike and why would he ride around such a piece of crap when his brother picked such a nice bike. (Michael picked a more expensive bike and is making payments on it.) Daniel was speechless! He was bullied horribly in elementary school, and finally has great friends. Even his "friends" at the skate park were being mean! WTH??!! Leave him alone! Luckily his true friends are not acting like morons!

He isn't able to see his therapist anymore, as our insurance was changed, so I have been trying to talk to him about people being jealous and nasty. How he should just ignore them, as nasty people LOVE upset reactions. It' so hard to see him going through this! We even warned him in the beginning, thinking it may happen. I mean who else has parents that own a bike and skateboard shop??

Ignoring is SO hard when he has ADHD! He's just crushed!

I don't know how to make him feel stronger, as I am FAR from being a strong person. I need a magic wand to make us both stronger!

by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 10:00 PM
Replies (11-15):
busykids
by on Sep. 5, 2009 at 2:56 PM

I know, my son is having the some of the same issues, and it can make learning difficult having to deal with the constant struggle of  children picking on you.

Quoting bam920:

So sorry to hear he is going through this.  Being a teen is hard and no one needs this extra pressure, especially him!

Kris265
by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 5:41 PM

Many kids face this kind of junk. My eldest was always getting harassed by the kids he was in school with. He had a few friends, but even those would tease him and treat him like he was worthless. I got so angry, especially with the ones who were supposed to be his friends! He would get into the blackest moods and therapy wasn't all that helpful.

Now, he is in the army and still gets harassed. Mostly because he is a Christian and they tease him about not finding girls or smoking or whatever. He said his previous harassment was a type of training. It still makes me mad, though. He did get shocked one day when he went back to the HS..a lower classmen came up to him. Tony was a tad nervous as this kid was one who used to treat him like scum. The kid shook his hand and congratulated him on his choices and left..Tony told me he stood in the hall for several seconds wondering what had happened!

I hope your son can look back on this and realise how stupid they were..it doesn't always help, but know you are not alone out there!

summerdayz
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:33 AM

ahh, that's such a shame !! I agree with some of the other moms who say those nasty boys are just jealous of your son's new bike. And shame on the boys who are supposed to be his friends. It's bad enough the meanies are picking on him, but his friends should never have joined in like that. My daughter will be 15 soon and only has 2 closer friends because she refuses to associate with the nasty back stabbing girls. She'll say hi, but that's it !! I am very proud of her because she knows they are doing wrong and doesn't want any parts of it.

Hopefully your son will get over feeling bad...it's just not worth his effort to even worry about losers like that !

Summer      

Aurorasmom
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 6:09 PM

I'm sorry your son is having to deal with bullies on top of everything else.

JoyandLove
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:38 PM

That is horrible how kids can be so cruel.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN