Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Anyone else have a 14 year old dd that just does ODD things sometimes?

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2009 at 8:58 PM
  • 13 Replies

My dd just baffles me sometimes! The first oddity is her attitude! She can turn it off and on like a light switch! And when she gets mad she fires off the wall remarks that make no sense at all..I guess to turn the spotlight off of her...

She will be a freshman this year, and I hope she outgrows the junior high stuff! She is a beautiful , smart girl, that thinks she is fat and ugly...she doesn't mind going out in public with a dirty pantleg or a shirt she wore yesterday (or probably to bed! She sleeps in her clothes most of the time! ewww...)  ...and of course all black clothes if possible! The latest 'oddity'..she wanted contacts ..her vision is worse than mine, so I know she can't see well....so , we got them for her! Now we don't want to wear them...they hurt, they burn, and every other excuse in the book. Took her to the eye dr. yesterday to see if there was a problem. Nope. Got her home, had her throw a 'fresh' pair of contacts in before we went to the movies. She could see everything...I tested her on the way there. She's now away for the weekend but didn't take them with her...ugh...Just took her clean laundry in to put it away..and there is the Right eye contact...UNOPENED!! WHAT?? That would mean she wore ONE contact to the movie theater?? Ahhhh...She's driving me crazy!!! Anyone else wanna share??

by on Sep. 4, 2009 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lauriebash
by on Sep. 4, 2009 at 9:37 PM

haha! They're all nuts! I have 2 teen sons. Believe me, they're nuts! 

onecuteladybug2
by on Sep. 4, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Defintiely nuts... In regards to the contacts though, as an adult, I gave them a try and could NOT get comfortable with them, no matter how hard I tried. I had to go back to glasses.

KatCh
by on Sep. 4, 2009 at 10:00 PM

Oh, yeah, I'd say nuts, too, although it's my son who's doing the odd things. My 14 yr old wanted a graphic art tablet for his birthday and I managed to get it on sale, but it was still almost $100. Two weeks later, he decided it was harder than he thought and it is now mine. He refuses to get a haircut, won't even comb it so it doesn't look stringy and only wears black. I am, however, grateful that he still brushes his teeth, showers and changes his clothes daily.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Sep. 5, 2009 at 8:29 AM

She doesn't sound odd she sounds just like a teenaged girl.

My dd is almost 16 and a sophomore this year. She has outgrown alot of the MS/Jr.high stuff but she sounds similar in some ways. Attitude can always be turned on and off by a teenager, it's an amazing trait.

We did the contact thing last year and it was cool for like a week then she wouldn't wear them. She had a really hard time getting them in and got too frustrated. I told her the more she did it the easier it would get. She didn't listen. I told her this year she had to wear contacts or get glasses and wear them b/c she is going for her permit and she can't drive if she can't see. She chose glasses and has been wearing them, not all the time but when she needs to (at school).

My dd also has no problem with re wearing clothes, especially jeans/shorts. They don't stink and aren't visibly dirty. I'm not sure why it bothers so much me but it does.

I wish I had some great advice but the only thing I can think of is hang in there, this too shall pass.

mandy519
by on Sep. 5, 2009 at 11:48 AM

lol all of your teens sound normal to me.i have 6 kids.21,20,16,14 10 and 8.oldest 3 are step.5boys and 1girl.my 14yr old girl i think is the worst.lol i love her dearly.but she loves the drama.gossipy behavior.and very much boy crazy.and has a attitude like no other.but my advice is to ride it out....they all will out grow there odd behavior.it comes with adolence and maturity.alot of kids are doing the black clothing now days.its quite popular.some even label themselves as emo kids.its just another form of kids being kids.as parents we just sit back and watch out for them.help them when they let us in there world.and as they grow older they do relise all there mistakes and bad choices they made and they love you for the support you gave them.all you can do look out for there best interest.pick your battles.and listen when they do decide to share.good luck

3mom627
by Member on Sep. 5, 2009 at 6:57 PM

My 15 year old daughter tried the contacts thing a couple of years ago, but she didn't like them.   Thank goodness we were still in the trial stage, so it didn't cost me anything.  She is supposed to wear glasses for the board at school, but refuses.  She states she can see ok if she sits close enough.  LOL

I totally get the want situation.  My 17 year old son wanted to go out for soccer, so I had to buy him the shoes, shin guards and socks to try out.  He went to one practice and decided he didn't want to do soccer.  Now I am stuck with almost brand new shoes, shin guards and socks.  I used a coupon and it only came to like $35.00, but the point is, the money is still wasted.  We had a discussion on the way to the store, that he really needed to try... 

Thank God for groups like CafeMom or I would have lost it a long time ago.

Cheryle A. Roberts

formykids373
by on Sep. 5, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Life is definetely more diffucult when you have to endure the constant nagging of a teenager. I think i have heard every possible excuse to not do something. But if you flip it over and not do something for them watch out here comes the " I hate you" and "You don't love me". I dont remember getting everything my friends had or being aloud to pierce my nose because it was cool.

I have a step daughter 16, and a son 17. Sd lives with mom and basically wants nothing to do with us, until she needs something.She recently acquired her drivers liscense and who did she go to to buy her a car, daddy. Love her right to death but she is one teenager out of control. She even managed to get her belly button pierced, dyed her hair black, and misses alot of school because "shes sick". I think i have heard every line there is from her.One minute its i love you, the next its a 2 year olds tantrum. My son can be just as bad. Even though he has a playstation2, nintendoDS, ipod shuffle,etc. the kid down the street has a xbox360. Now I have become the worst mother on the block for saying no I will not buy you another electronic device and allow you to sit in your bedroom in front of the tv for another 6 hours a day. Im sorry he feels the need to not talk to me again, but in a way maybe i should make them mad more often. Its awful quite around here, for a minute. 

BigDiva41
by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 9:15 AM

We all have them, you are not alone. But the low self-esteem she appears to suffer from is

troubling. And no matter what you say she will not believe you. Have you tried family counseling

for you and her. I'm strongly considering it for my kids. I hope this situation with your daughter

gets better because you love her and she's not aware that her rebellious behavior affects you too.group hug

Amiss67
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 10:44 PM

Yea..the low self-esteem thing drives me nuts!  Yes, counseling has been a thought, not to mention BOTH my kids are in Tae Kwon Do..a BIG self-esteem builder there...which they have no problem with then! Ugh! Were WE like this? LOL!

And by the way...BACK TO SCHOOL!!! HAPPY DANCE!! HAPPY DANCE!!!

isaiahsmommy00
by on Sep. 9, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Yep, I sure do.  My 14 year old DS drives me nuts with his attitude and his ideas about almost everything.  I have just never met another human being quite like him before.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN