Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

HIGHSCHOOL GRADES AND HOMEWORK IN MATH

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2009 at 6:01 PM
  • 11 Replies

I can not get my 15 yr old (SOPHOMORE)to realize how important his grades are in high school.  For the most part he does have good grades but believes his homework is NOT important. He has to have a 3.0 grade pt avg to remain on the schools Hockey team.  His response to that is "Oh I will I have honors classes that make up for my bad grade in other classes"  Yah they do but I still expect good grades.  I have told him I can respect a not so good grade if you were doing the homework and getting bad scores but his bad grade is because he refuses to do his math homework so his grade is bad because his in class work/tests he does very well.  How do I get him to do his homework in math..I have taken stuff away from him,no games,no computer, no TV, does not matter he still does not do his math.

HELP!!!

in loveboy n girltwin boys

HUBBY & ME       CHANDLER,MADSION,CARSON & COLTON

by on Sep. 5, 2009 at 6:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RaiderMommy
by on Sep. 5, 2009 at 9:39 PM

I dont know if he has figured out what he wants to be when he grows up or if he even has an idea of what college he wants to go to. If he does, then I would suggest finding someone in that field or the admissions counselor at the college he wants to go to,that can express to him the importance of good grades are. That yes his Honor or AP classes do look good and will boost his overall GPA, but colleges look at a complete transcript for a reason. They will notice each class and the grade received in them.

I have had the same issue with my son. Math is his strong suit and he was the only freshman last year in his Algebra 2 class (plus he skipped a grade so technically he was an 8th grader) and he recieved a low C overall in the class. Not because he doesnt know how to do it but because he wasnt applying himself and thats the comment his teacher left on his transcript. So even though he recieved credit for it and has moved on to Pre-Calc, he still will have to take Algebra 2 over again because USC is not going to look fondly at that, especially going into engineering.

One thing at this point he has got to understand is that this is his life! If he doesnt apply himself he will only have to work harder later and thats his choice to do. When that time comes, as hard as it may be for you, do not show any empathy for him. He made his bed hard he will have to lay in it as the old saying goes. In a few years he will be an adult and this is his practice run.

You have done all you can. It's on him now.

3boyz1princess
by on Sep. 5, 2009 at 10:02 PM

I agree with everything you said..I just wish kids would realize the importance of grades..I did not listen and wish I would have. 

KatCh
by on Sep. 5, 2009 at 10:37 PM

How about not being allowed to play hockey unless he does his homework? Honestly, I wish I knew. My friend has the same problem. Her son is extremely bright, but for yrs, his grades have always been a few points lower because he refuses to do his homework. I guess in their heads, kids justify it as knowing the stuff and acing the tests, so why bother wasting time rehashing what they all ready know. The thing is, I think colleges do look at all the grades, especially junior year, so my 16 yr old already has regrets of not taking certain classes or internships when he was a freshman/sophmore now that he's decided he's either going into pre-med or bioengineering in college. At the time, he didn't want to work so hard, so now he's worried certain colleges won't accept him because of it.

3boyz1princess
by on Sep. 5, 2009 at 10:59 PM

That is the only thing I can not take away since he is the goalie for the team and that just punishes the team if they had to find a back up goalie and they lost I would feel real bad.  The team went undefeated last year and won state.

Quoting KatCh:

How about not being allowed to play hockey unless he does his homework? Honestly, I wish I knew. My friend has the same problem. Her son is extremely bright, but for yrs, his grades have always been a few points lower because he refuses to do his homework. I guess in their heads, kids justify it as knowing the stuff and acing the tests, so why bother wasting time rehashing what they all ready know. The thing is, I think colleges do look at all the grades, especially junior year, so my 16 yr old already has regrets of not taking certain classes or internships when he was a freshman/sophmore now that he's decided he's either going into pre-med or bioengineering in college. At the time, he didn't want to work so hard, so now he's worried certain colleges won't accept him because of it.

RaiderMommy
by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 12:01 AM

Yeah we can tell them until we are blue in the face but they dont seem to understand fat means greasy. You just have to let them find out on their own. But dont worry, they will eventually see it your way. Just like you and I we were told and we still did it our way. Our kids are the same. It will work itself out.

Quoting 3boyz1princess:

I agree with everything you said..I just wish kids would realize the importance of grades..I did not listen and wish I would have. 

rkoloms
by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 8:24 AM

I have to agree with grades for hockey. This is the one thing that will motivate him. Make sure that the coach is aware of this.

Robin in Chicago

jerzeetomato
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Mine is the same way.  He'll do the homework, but won't apply himself because most teachers just check to see if it was done, and grade it for being completed.  He got a C average for the year Freshman year, and honestly I don't know how.  I have impressed upon him the need to really step up this year and put forth a better effort overall.  He is much brighter than his grades show, and its because he only wants to put forth a minimum effort. 

And you moms are right - we've given the talk, laid out the expectations, and its now on our sons and daughters.  We can't do it for them.

Good luck to you all - if anyone finds the magic button that turns them all into motivated super students, please share! LOL

jjessers
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 11:16 AM

First...I don't think your son should bear the weight of the whole team.

Second...there are reasons ..that if your GPA isn't where it needs to be ...you don't play!!! 

Have you asked him ...if he is having an issue w/ Math?  Sometimes children try to avoid the things that cause them issues .

Quoting 3boyz1princess:

That is the only thing I can not take away since he is the goalie for the team and that just punishes the team if they had to find a back up goalie and they lost I would feel real bad.  The team went undefeated last year and won state.

Quoting KatCh:

Buggy979
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Personally my opinion only but you need to let him fail/fall momma. If he gets a bad grade in math that drops his gpa then he doesn't get to play hockey they will kick him off. After that happens all you have to do is say told you so! Really Teenagers are just a pain when it comes to school and other things they now it all so letting them fail or fall sometimes can open there eyes.  Life is not waiting for them they have to follow rules just like everyone else. Good luck

jjessers
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 11:22 AM

I think it's just an individual (personal) thing with the kids.

My oldest is 17...he has always been in advanced classes in HS. He got several of the Presidential honors awards...he also....has been in HS and College for the past 2 yrs...not to mention he is on the Varsity Baseball team since he was a freshman. This year..he is technically still  a HS student....but goes to college full time. He has no actual classes in HS. He's on the baseball team and the golf team...

With my son....He LOVES baseball...and sports in general.....baseball being his favorite....so if he wanted to keep playing.....he knew he HAD to do all his school work and keep his GPA up :)

Quoting jerzeetomato:

Mine is the same way.  He'll do the homework, but won't apply himself because most teachers just check to see if it was done, and grade it for being completed.  He got a C average for the year Freshman year, and honestly I don't know how.  I have impressed upon him the need to really step up this year and put forth a better effort overall.  He is much brighter than his grades show, and its because he only wants to put forth a minimum effort. 

And you moms are right - we've given the talk, laid out the expectations, and its now on our sons and daughters.  We can't do it for them.

Good luck to you all - if anyone finds the magic button that turns them all into motivated super students, please share! LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN