Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Duke University?

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2009 at 10:47 PM
  • 3 Replies

Does anyone have a child in Duke University or know someone who is attending or attended Duke? My 16 yr old has started looking at colleges and for some reason is fixated on this particular one for pre-med. All I know is that it's 9 hrs away in North Carolina (we live in NYC) and was in the news a few years ago because of the lacrosse players/strippers scandal. Any info would be great, because having just come home from Myrtle Beach, which was an 11 hr drive, I already dread the drive and we won't be making the trip for months. 

by on Sep. 5, 2009 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
DogsMom
by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 7:46 PM

My son chose college based on having a good program for him but also on the fact that it was somewhere Mom would not drop in for an unexpected visit.

I do not have any first hand knowledge, but in general have heard it is a good education. Do as much online searching as you can and visit at least twice before you decide.

mythreeloves3
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:10 AM

I love in Virginia-originally from Conn.  My son has a friend that goes to Duke.  It is not an easy school to get into-depending on the pool when they apply.  He is doing very well, and not every student is going to be a Lacrosse player or make the same choices as those kids did.  My son goes to Virginia Tech and is flourishing there.  He was accepted in the architect program on early decision the fall before the shootings.  Of course that was one of the scariest things for us to see-we knew personally one of the victims who was a beautiful girl.  It did not deter us from letting our child follow his dreams and his heart.  He loves it there and fits the VT "mold".  I would have your child visit the Duke campus when school is in session so he can observe the campus and see if he still feels like it is a good fit.  He should apply to a few colleges and keep his options open.  My son sought out other friends that were like him and I couldn't be prouder of him.  Good Luck!!

sun

Evanmak0094
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:49 AM

That is a good question. I do not know of anyone attending Duke University. However, I think too about different schools and wonder how to choose the one that''s right for my children.  However, I will probably have to choose based on money.  Our state gives scholarship money if you attend an in state university, but I heard there is also a program where we can get some tuition paid if we choose a university in one of the 5 surrounding states.  I am not quite at the point where I have to do that yet, but will be soon. Good luck in your decision!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)