Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What kind of snacks do your kids eat after school? Do you have problems getting them to eat healthy?

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 3:41 PM
  • 15 Replies

I have girls so they tend to eat fruits, veggies and they love cheese. But they also want to eat frozen stuff like pizza rolls. And chips and cookies. The oldest has a tendency to gain weight easily so try not to keep the stuff around but the youngest is really thin and can eat anything and not gain weight. It's sometimes a challange to balance things out.

by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wyndi
by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 5:29 PM

I can't keep anything in the house. fruit and veggies are gone fast. salty snacks take a little longer to go through and we go through a bag of cookies a week.

I usually have my son's friends here sometimes my dd's friends and they all love homemade cookies/ chips. 

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign
rkoloms
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:30 AM

If you don't have junk food in the house, then it won't get eaten.

Standard afterschool snacks at our house are:

• hummus with veggies (carrots, sugar snaps, jicama, etc.)
  • fruit salad (apple, clementine, kiwi, dried cranberries, crushed pecans, blueberries)
  • nachos (baked torilla chips (traderjoes organic or homemade), refried beans, cheese, avocado mashed with salsa
  • tortilla pizza: whole grain tortilla, sauce, cheese, broccoli slaw (shredded stems), yves pepperoni

Robin in Chicago

Tabatha42183
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:04 AM

my son will eat anything you give him pretty much so it's usually a pb&j sammich

jerzeetomato
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 10:02 AM

My son is the problem eater in my house.  He thinks pizza and burgers are their own group on the food pyramid!  Its a struggle at times to get him to a eat a real meal.  Snacks usually consist of a bowl of cereal and milk, which is much better than other things he could be eating.  And PB&J carry him through many a soccer practice. 

2protectivemom
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Sunnut butter sandwiches, (my kids have peanut allergies), Air popped popcorn with garlic salt, no butter,  pretzels, apples, pears, or leftovers if there is any. 

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Sep. 8, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Pudding,fruit,etc. I don't buy chips&cookies so thats not even an option. I sometimes buy pringles if they want that chip tatse. They eat ritz crackers all the time too(ummy)&laughing cow cheese.

come join me at the HotSpot

http://www.cafemom.com/group/90476

glitterbelle
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 2:00 PM

I try not to buy junk food they like to snack on fruit and yogurt

sapphiresoda
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Apples and granola bars.

busykids
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 6:16 PM

The boys love fruits, it's hard to keep fruits around here, vegetables on the other hand i have make them eat it. 

JennyMarie
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 11:27 PM

My boys love veggies and fruit but they do love cookies and chips. I by the 100 calorie packs for them. They love string cheese and the totino pizza rolls

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN