Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What kind of snacks do your kids eat after school? Do you have problems getting them to eat healthy?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have girls so they tend to eat fruits, veggies and they love cheese. But they also want to eat frozen stuff like pizza rolls. And chips and cookies. The oldest has a tendency to gain weight easily so try not to keep the stuff around but the youngest is really thin and can eat anything and not gain weight. It's sometimes a challange to balance things out.

by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 3:41 PM
Replies (11-15):
tracylynnr67
by on Sep. 9, 2009 at 2:39 AM

I don't buy junk food, never have so my kids aren't really big in to it. They snack on granola bars, yogurt, fruit, veggies, etc.. Every so often they do get a craving for something sweet and will make a Dunkin' Donuts run or go get some ice cream but that's not too often. Maybe once a week, if that, and they spend their own money when they do.

isaiahsmommy00
by on Sep. 9, 2009 at 11:44 AM

My teen son LOOOOOOVES junk food, so I really limit any and all junk food coming into the house.  He doesn't have a weight issue at all (except that he may be close to being underweight), but he much prefers junk to healthy options.  I try and keep only fresh fruit and veggies in the house for snacks.

RaiderMommy
by on Sep. 9, 2009 at 11:52 AM

For the past two years my son has food science for his last period and they usually cook 3 times a week. With lunch being less than 1.5 hrs before he gets home. He doesnt really snack much and will just wait for dinner. My daughter on the other hand comes home raiding the pantry. They both eat healthy and some junk food. Fruit, yogurt (cant keep that in the house for nothing!), pizza rolls, sandwiches and chips, etc. We are equal opportunity eaters over here.

Boothfamily
by on Sep. 9, 2009 at 1:32 PM

They do like junk, but they don't get it. I give them fruit, fresh veggies w/ranch, crackers, cheese cubes, yogurt, etc. Once in a while they will get pizza rolls and some cut up veggies, but I try to stay healthy. I am creative and do things differently/cut them up differently and serve with different dip options.

ittikay37
by on Sep. 9, 2009 at 5:14 PM

My kid's eat just about anything but I try to stick more toward's fruit or cheese and crackers. For awhile all they wanted was pizza rolls but that didn't last long cause then they didn't want dinner. I try to keep their after school snacks small in portions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)