Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

They're like my own sons....

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2009 at 9:41 AM
  • 2 Replies

My son is still in high school, but his two best friends just recently left for college.  Those two boys are like my own sons.  They're at my house every day...eating my food...hanging out and just very fun to have around, not to mention they're my son's best friends.  I was worried he was going to take it hard when they left, but so far he seems fine and has adapted himself to find other friends to hang with.  I on the other hand, am the one who fell apart!  Really I"m fine, but the day they said "goodbye" and a couple days after that, I just was so sad and tearful, you would have thought my own had flown the coop!  I know that day is coming soon that my own son will leave for college, and I didn't think I would be so affected by these two friends of his leaving.  Anybody else go through this?

by on Sep. 10, 2009 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
KatCh
by on Sep. 10, 2009 at 9:51 AM

In a way, they were like your sons. You fed them, cared for them and somehow, they probably became your friends as well. My 16 yr old and his friends are still in high school, so I have a couple of yrs before going through this, but I completely understand how you feel about the loss. My son had a good friend whose parents divorced and shifted him from grandparent to aunt and everyone in between, so we were his surrogate family. We fed him, took him everywhere with us and tried to give him opportunities his own parents couldn't/didn't. Last yr, the friend fell into the wrong crowd, started drinking, smoking, cutting school. I watched him fight those demons and I guess his willpower wasn't strong enough, because we lost him. He still calls my son once in a while and always promises to come over on this day at this time, but he never shows up. I miss him as much as my son does and I have to accept that I tried and I gave him an option, but he chose to go a different way.

JoyandLove
by on Sep. 10, 2009 at 10:39 AM

YOu shared a lot of  time with them. And you genuinely care for them. It is quite normal to feel this was. They will be back during winter break. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)