• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Italian bonds cross 7%

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:48 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 411 Total Views

Many say this is the point of no return. Italy won't be able to service their debts any more with bonds at such high rates. The scary part is looking at how fast the rates went up.

Italian 10-year Bond Yield

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
29again
by Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Do you know what happened in Sept to make it drop like it did?  

And wow, the rates did go way up pretty quickly!

smalltowngal
by Group Owner on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:09 PM

I think that's around the time our markets went down because of the debt ceiling fighting but I'm not sure exactly. I don't have a clue how they're going to try and fix this either. I've read some suggestions of selling their gold or state properties. I know Greece has sold some public places in order to raise money. It's definitely a big mess though. :/

29again
by Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:35 PM

I thought our debt ceiling "crisis" was the end of July, because I remember the big O saying that he wouldn't guarantee the SS checks on Aug 3.  But with the way my mind works sometimes, I could be wrong!

A big mess is putting it nicely...

I wish I had paid a bit more attention back then.  But I didn't have the laptop yet, then, so it was just what I could glean from the magic box that talks to me!

wulfbourne
by Member on Nov. 10, 2011 at 12:43 PM

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2011/11/09/142169733/why-italy-is-so-scary

NPR story on the rising interest rate.  It's scary stuff.

smalltowngal
by Group Owner on Nov. 10, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Quoting 29again:

I thought our debt ceiling "crisis" was the end of July, because I remember the big O saying that he wouldn't guarantee the SS checks on Aug 3.  But with the way my mind works sometimes, I could be wrong!

A big mess is putting it nicely...

I wish I had paid a bit more attention back then.  But I didn't have the laptop yet, then, so it was just what I could glean from the magic box that talks to me!

I think you're right about the debt ceiling debate. I'm not exactly sure what the tipping point was for the Europe debt crisis. The markets have become so unpredictable.

smalltowngal
by Group Owner on Nov. 10, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Quoting wulfbourne:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2011/11/09/142169733/why-italy-is-so-scary

NPR story on the rising interest rate.  It's scary stuff.

I started noticing a lot more nervous people on financial boards I read after Italy crossed the 7% rate. I'm hearing the term end game thrown around a lot. :/

smalltowngal
by Group Owner on Nov. 10, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Quoting wulfbourne:

Reports that Germany and France have begun talks to break up the eurozone amid fears that Italy will be too big to rescue

I wonder how France and Germany breaking up the EU would affect the derivatives market. I think everything would just kind of fall apart. There has to be some plans going on behind the scenes.

As I watch things unfold in Italy and how quickly the bonds are going up, I think of the video "The day the dollar died." Have you ever watched it. It's by NIA and a bit much but I think we as Americans have to look at the possibility of currency instability in this country in the near future.

29again
by Member on Nov. 10, 2011 at 6:20 PM

I was reading a bit last night about Germany & France talking of splitting up the Eurozone.  Merkel is calling for a "New Europe."  I don't think I like the sound of that.  I don't think things will get much better for us any time soon, and I also think that currency instability is almost certain.

stormcris
by Group Admin on Nov. 17, 2011 at 11:02 PM

I really think Europe is trying to push for the war with Iran to remedy this. I do not think a break up will help them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)