Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

learning Arabic

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:40 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 639 Total Views
Hi, I am new to this group.  I converted to Islam about 2 years ago.  Besides for my husband, I have no friends or family who are Muslim and can help me with questions.  My husband's sister has been very adamant about me learning Arabic in order to properly pray.  I am very torn over this.  I understand her reasoning.  However, I began to try to learn just enough to pray and it just seems to take the meaning out of my prayer because I don't understand the words.  Is this really necessary for Allah to accept my prayer?  I would really appreciate others' opinions on this.  Thank you!

Allah Hafez, Chelsea
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Aasiyah
by Group Admin on Jul. 25, 2007 at 3:40 PM
As Salamu Alailkum sister.

You have to do the prayer in Arabic.Yes.

Learning the language can be hard but it can be done with time, practice and alot of trust in Allah.

what i do is, I learn the english version as well as the arabic.  That way i know what i'm saying when i'm praying.  However i am trying to learn the actual language so that i understand each word and it's meaning so that i don't have to rely on the translations

There are sites/tapes that teach you in english and arabic so that you can understand what you are praying.

Take your time learning.. put the time in and Ask Allah to help you, to make it easy for you.  He will!

Allah has blessed us in that many of his books have been translated for the english speaker so that we can understand. However the prayer itself has to be done in arabic.

insha-in-ok
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 12:17 PM

Assalaamu alaykum sister - yes, you do have to say the prayers in Arabic. But that doesn't mean you have to learn Arabic as a language. That would be very overwhelming for a new Muslim. What I did was to write out the different steps of the prayer, with the words in English & Arabic. As I'm praying, my mouth is saying the Arabic words, but in my mind, I'm saying them in English so I do understand what I'm saying. It will take some time to memorize the words, that's true. But inshallah, it won't be as hard as you think b/c Allah will help you. I'm not very good at memorizing at all but it really didn't take me long at all. Maybe 2 weeks I think? The important thing is just to start doing it & be patient & ask for Allah's help. It will come :)

You can, of course, learn the Arabic language when you're ready, if that's what you want to do. And it's definitely a good thing to do that will, inshallah, bring you many blessings from Allah. But I'm just saying that it's not necessary to learn the language outside of the prayer for now.

Here are the words of the prayer instructions I used. I tried to write out the Arabic phonetically so it was easier to pronounce but you should really have someone listen to how you're saying them so they can correct you where needed. Or here's a website that has audio files of each phrase so you can hear how to say it: http://www.islamcan.com/salat/duas/index.shtml

The opening:
“Allah Hu Akbar.”                      

“Allah is the greatest.”

”Sub-haa-na kal-la-hum-ma, wa bi-ham-di-ka, wa ta-baa- ra-kas-mu-ka wa ta-aa-laa jad-du-ka wa laa-i-laa-ha ghair-ruk.”

”Oh Allah, Glorified, praise-worthy, and blessed is Thy name and exalted Thy Majesty and there is no deity worthy of worship except Thee.”

”A-oo-zu bil-laa-he mi-nash-shai-tan-nir-ra-jeem.”

”I seek refuge in Allah from the rejected Satan.”

Surah Fatiha - the beginning of each rakat:
”Bis-mil-laa-hir Rah-maan ni-ra-heem. Alhamdul lil-lahi rab-bil 'alameen; Ar rahma nir-raheem; Maliki yawmid-deen. Iyyaka na'budu wa iyyaka nasta'een. Ihdinas siratal mustaqeem, Siratal Lazeena an'amta 'alayhim, Ghai-ril maghdubi 'alayhim Walad dal-leen. Ameen.”

”In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful. Praise be to Allah, Lord of the Worlds; the Beneficent, the Merciful; Master of the Day of Judgment. Thee alone we worship and to Thee alone we turn for help. Guide us in the straight path, the path of those whom You favored, and who did not deserve Thy anger or went astray. Amen”

Then another short surah is said here

This is what is said in ruku (bowing):
”Sub-Haa-Na Rab-be-yal-Azeem. Sub-Haa-Na Rab-be-yal-Azeem. Sub-Haa-Na Rab-be-yal-Azeem.”

”How perfect is my Lord the supreme. How perfect is my Lord the supreme. How perfect is my Lord the supreme.”

Then when standing back up:
”Sa-mi Allah hu-li-man Ha-mi-dah.”

”Allah has heard all who praise Him.”

”Rab-ba-naa la-kal-hamd.”

”Our Lord: Praise be to Thee.”

This is what is said in sajda (prostrating):
”Sub-haa-na Rab-bi-yal A-laa. Sub-haa-na Rab-bi-yal A-laa. Sub-haa-na Rab-bi-yal A-laa.”

”How perfect is my Lord the most high. How perfect is my Lord the most high. How perfect is my Lord the most high.”

This is what is said while sitting after sajda:
”At-ta-heey-yaa-tu lil-laa-hi was-sa-la-waa-tu wat-taiyi- baa-tu. As-sa-laa-mu a-lai-ka, aiy-yu-han-na beey-yu wa rah-ma-tul-laa-hi wa baa-ra-kaa-tu-hoo. As-salam-mu a- lai-naa wa a-laa i-baa-dil-laa-his-saa li-heen.”

”All prayers and worship through words, action, and sanctity are for Allah only. Peace be on the Prophet, and mercy of Allah and His blessings. Peace be on us and on those who are righteous servants of Allah.”

”Ash-ha-du Allah i-laa ha ill Allah wa ash ha du an na Muhammad an ab-du-hoo wa rasool lu-hoo.”

”I bear witness to the fact that there is no deity but Allah. I bear witness that Muhammad is His slave and messenger.”

”Allaa-hum-ma sal-li a-laa Muhammad-in-wa a-laa aa-li Mohammad-in, ka-maa sal-lai-ta a-laa Ibrahim-ma, wa a- laa aa-li Ibrahim-maa, n naa-ka ha-mee-dum-ma-jeed. Allaa-hum-ma baa-rik a-laa Muhammad-in wa a-laa aa- li Mohammad-in, ka-maa baa-rak-ta a-laa Ibrahim-ma, wa a-laa aa-li Ibrahim-maa, in naa-ka ha-mee-dum-ma- jeed.”

”Oh Allah, exalt Muhammad and the followers of Muhammad, as Thou did exalt Ibrahim and his followers. Thou art the praised, the Glorious. Oh Allah, bless Muhammad and the followers of Muhammad, as Thou did exalt Ibrahim and his followers. Thou art the praised, the Glorious.”

And the closing:
”As-sa-laa-mu alikum wa Rahmat Allah.”

”Peace be on you and Allah’s blessings.”

Some duas that can be said after salah:
”As-tagh-firu Allah. As-tagh-firu Allah. As-tagh-firu Allah.”

”May God forgive me. May God forgive me. May God forgive me.”

”Rab-ba-naa! Aa-ti-naa fid-dunyaa ha-sa-na-tanw wa-fil aa-khi-ra-ti ha-sa-na-tanw wa-qi-naa azab-an-naar.”

”O our Lord! Grant us in this world virtue and in the hereafter virtue and protect us from the Punishment of the Hellfire.”

”Sub-haan Allah.”           “Allah is glorified.”

”Al-ham-du lil-laah.”        “All praise for Allah.”

”Allah hu Akbar.”            “Allah is the greatest.”

And here are a couple of other surahs that you can say when the second surah is said:

”Bis-mil-laa-hir Rah-maan ni-ra-heem. Qul-hu-wal-laa-hu-Ahad. Allah hus Samad. Lam ya-lid, wa lam yu-lad, Wa lam ya-kul-la-hoo ku-fu-wan Ahad.”

”In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful. Say: Allah is one and the only God. Allah, upon who all depend. He begets not, nor is He begotten, and there is nothing which can be compared to Him.”

”Bis-mil-laa-hir Rah-maan ni-ra-heem. Qul a-oo-zu bi-rab-bin-naas, Ma-li-kin-naas, i-laa-hin- naas, min shar-ril was-waa-sil-khan-naas al-la-zee- you-was-wi-su fee su-doo-rin-naas, mi-nal-jin-na-ti wan- naas.”

”In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful. Say: I seek refuge with the Lord of mankind, the Master of mankind, the God of mankind, from the Evil of the whisperings of the sneaking devil who whispers into the hearts of mankind, from among the jinn and mankind.”

May Allah make it easy for you to learn your salah. Let us know of whatever questions you have :)

- Insha

purplecandle
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 3:59 PM
I may be wrong, but it seems like having to learn a pray in Arabic would hinder a relationship with God. Like it puts up a road block. Why is it important to pray in Arabic? Believe me I think Arabic is beautiful written and spoken, but it just does not make sense to me. Can't God understand all languages? No offence meant here, just a question
Aasiyah
by Group Admin on Jul. 26, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Quoting purplecandle:

I may be wrong, but it seems like having to learn a pray in Arabic would hinder a relationship with God. Like it puts up a road block. Why is it important to pray in Arabic? Believe me I think Arabic is beautiful written and spoken, but it just does not make sense to me. Can't God understand all languages? No offence meant here, just a question
No offense taken my friend..

Allah revealed the Quran in Arabic. As muslims we recite the Quran as it was sent to us in Arabic. It does not hinder the relationship infact it helps you to get closer because you are recitiing the exact word of God and not man made words/translations.

You can say your dua/supplications in english.

Allah is knower of everything. So yes he understands every language as he is the creator of all.  However we believe that all other languages in which the quaran is written is merely a translation of the Meaning of the Quran and not the Quran itself. 

Reciting the quran is not for Allah. It is for you, the believer. Allah does not need anyting from his creation.  What better way is there to worship than to use Allah's exact words? 

I hope this was a clear explanation my dear friend

insha-in-ok
by on Jul. 27, 2007 at 5:51 PM
Hello purplecandle, it's not as hard as it seems. Once you start reciting the Arabic words five times a day, it's surprising how fast you memorize it. And of course Allah understands us in any language. When we're just talking to Him or praying to Him about our needs, we speak in our own language. It's only the 5 times daily salah in which we speak in the Arabic language. We do this to become closer to Allah, so it's not a hindrance, it's actually the opposite. Allah chose Arabic as the language in which to reveal the Qur'an & so to become closer to Him, it's good to use this same language. Just like when you are trying to get to know someone, you try to learn more about that person's background, likes & dislikes, etc. And if you wanted to know someone who spoke a different language, even if they did speak yours also, you might want to learn some of their language to form a closer bond with them. Same thing. Great question :)

- Insha
Mama-to-Sufia
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 11:41 AM
Thank you all so much for your input.  I really appreciate the guidance. 
IllyasBaytee
by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Asalaamualikim,

I came across this post doing some research and was compelled to add my two sense.

I converted to Islam about 6 years ago Alhamdulillah.

Remember that a valid prayer can be done with only reciting AL FATIHA if thats all you know.

Learn short surah's. Also remember to add your own prayers in english when you make salaat. Their is no language barrier and those that strive toward the arabic language will get

a double reward inshALLAH.  I understood when you said you felt that your prayer was robotic in this fashion. For this pray alot of Sunnah Salaats and pray in English and connect to OUR CREATOR and dont worry about the language.  I have found many Muslims that can recite alot of Quran but dont know the meaning of most of it.  The core of Salaat is remembering GOD and PRAISING HIM in his PERFECTION and MERCY. 

There fore I try to simplify my salaat and read alot of Tafsir and translations of Hadith and Quran until I can committ to memory the Arabic. 

One thing that i have found in my journey in life and as a Muslim is that

Shaytan likes to make us feel Confused, Overwhelmed and Inadequate.

Keep things simple, Praise GOD in any language, and dont be too hard on yourself. Learning a language takes a lifetime and we still havent learned the English language to any scholarly extent although i have been on this earth for 31 years. lol

Have a wonderful day, MAY ALLAH SWT, accept our intentions and remember that 2/3 of the Quran are in Surah IkHLAS, the shortest surah in the QURAN.

PEACE!

ILLYAS BAYTEE

akhlass
by Group Owner on Feb. 16, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Salaam Alaikum Sister,

Here is a great book to use when you pray.  Adults and children can use it.  It's easy and will help you, inshallah!

http://islamicbookstore.com/b7369.html

You can purchase it here for $3.56 or if you can't afford it, then please contact me.

Click to enlarge

My Prayer Book (Dar us Salam Staff)

ISBN:
Author: Dar us Salam Staff
Publisher: Dar-us-Salam Publications
Pages: 40 Binding: Paperback

Description from the publisher:

A step by step guide to perfecting your child's obligatory prayers according to the Quran and the Sunnah.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)