Reuse Egg Cartons
Reuse Egg Cartons
February 7, 2012
Clever storage solutions can be found all around your home. Egg cartons provide multiple compartments to hold and organize so many items! From plant seeds to sewing supplies, there's an option for every occasion.
10 Uses for Egg Cartons
In a snap, turn clean, empty egg cartons into a variety of helpful storage and decorative solutions.
- Seed Starters: Save money during gardening season! Cut off a cardboard carton's top, and fill each cup halfway with soil. Set a seed in each compartment, then top off with more soil. Place in a sunny window and water regularly.
Tip: Transplant grown seedlings to a larger pot or to your garden. Cut around the cups and place the biodegradable compartment directly in the soil.
- Paint Palette: Add dabs of paint in the egg cups to keep activity time organized. Leave a few empty to encourage paint mixing, then unleash the creativity! When you're finished, simply toss the carton in the trash.
- Ornament Storage: Protect delicate glass ornaments for years to come. Wrap them in newspaper or tissue, set them in the compartments, then stack the cartons in a large plastic bin or crate for seasonal storage.
- Screws/Nuts/Bolts Organization: Organize loose toolbox items in a simple way. Screws, nuts and bolts will stay organized by size, type and color when each has its own compartment.
- Game Piece Storage: Accessories from board games are easy to lose. Place pieces in labeled compartments of the carton. Store it near the games for grab-and-go ease.
- Gift Box: Egg cartons make unique gift boxes too! Place wrapped candy, tiny plants or colored chalk and crayons in each cup, then embellish the outside with photos, paint, ribbons or fabric.
Tip: When painting a foam carton, avoid spray paint and opt for acrylic paints instead.
- Egg Display: Cut two cups from the egg carton and glue the flat sides together. Paint and decorate it with beads, felt or wallpaper scraps, then use these handy homemade holders to display decorative eggs.
Turning an egg carton into a handy organizational tool is simple, but as you get crafty, depend on the help of Swiffer® SweeperVac to clean up falling scraps. Its cordless vacuum sweeper suctions up crumbs, pet hair and cereal, combined with a dry sweeping cloth that digs deep into grout lines and crevices to pick up finer particles.
- Mending Kit: Easily sort buttons, beads and thread, then decorate the carton with patterned fabric or felt to add a personal touch that'll make you smile whenever you mend garments.
Tip: Glue a small piece of floral foam in one cup to hold pins and needles.
- Bottle Organization: Keep spices and pill bottles in your cabinets or drawers organized. Cut off the carton's top and fill each cup with a bottle. Slide the whole carton in and out of your cabinets with ease.
- Tiered Bird Feeder: Cut out a few cups from an egg carton and poke a hole in the top of each. Thread a long piece of twine through each hole, securing each cup with a bead or knot. Leave extra string at the top for hanging.
Tip: Coat the outside of each cup with peanut butter, roll it in birdseed, then hang it from a tree.