Family Tree Calendar Project
Family Tree Calendar Project
April 30, 2010
From anniversaries to birthdays, keeping track of
the memorable milestones throughout the year can be a challenge. But
with a smart design and artistic touch, you can craft an easy-to-make
Family Tree Calendar that showcases every special date—and person—in
your life. It has all the function of an organized calendar and the look
of a comprehensive family tree, perfect for the wall décor in your
home. So this year, pay homage to your roots and get a handle on your
schedule with a project that is as functional as it is beautiful.
Family Tree Calendar
Every family is unique, and with this simple crafts project, you can honor your personal genealogy with endless creative possibilities. Begin by downloading the Family Tree Branch Template and Family Tree Leaf Template to construct your tree, then let your artistic side take the reins to craft a one-of-a-kind masterpiece.
4 sheets 8 ½” x 11” paper, all same color (weight, style and color of your choice*)
1 additional sheet of paper for every 6 tree leaves (weight, style and color of your choice*)
Family Tree Branch Template
Family Tree Leaf Template
Writing utensils (pens, pencils, markers)
Photos of loved ones
1 large sheet poster stock, matte board or cork board
Embellishments (beads, sequins, scrapbook stickers, tags, ribbon)
*Using a variety of papers will lend texture and interest to your Family Tree Calendar. Because you will construct individual leaves for each member of your family, try pulling from an assortment of paper designs and colors when printing your leaf templates. Find inspiration in your home décor palette, or consider it a way to reflect your loved ones’ personalities.INSTRUCTIONS
- On each of your first 4 sheets of paper, print out one section of the downloadable Family Tree Branch Template.
- Use scissors to trim each image along the margins. Align the branch designs to tile together the image, then fasten the pieces together along the back with clear tape.
- Use your extra paper sheets to print out the downloadable Family Tree Leaf Template. Each sheet yields six leaves, so determine the number of leaves you would like for your tree and continue reprinting the template on additional sheets.
- Carefully cut out the leaves with scissors and use a pen or decorative marker to write down your loved ones’ information on each of the leaves.
Tip: Consider each leaf as a different person, with the five petals showcasing different pieces of information. For example, dedicate a leaf to your mother, writing her first name, last name, birth month, birth date and birth year on the five petals. Your family tree is also perfect for anniversaries, upcoming weddings and other special events. Try honoring a betrothed couple by writing the bride’s full name, the groom’s full name, the location of the wedding ceremony, the date of the ceremony and the time on individual petals.
- Next, use scissors to trim photos of loved ones so their headshot will fit within the center of their leaf. Adhere the picture to the leaf with your glue stick.
- Using your glue stick or clear tape, adhere the leaves onto the tree image. Envision each of the four tree quadrants as a three-month span, with the bottom left-hand quadrant representing January, February and March. Moving clockwise, the upper left-hand segment represents April, May and June, and so on. Locate the dates on each of your leaves and adhere them to the corresponding region.
Tip: When it comes to designing your Family Tree Calendar, there really are no rules. Consider writing each quadrant’s corresponding months directly on the calendar for added organization. Or, try eliminating the monthly format and instead artfully scatter your leaves throughout the piece for a whimsical look.
- Apply a spray adhesive to your sheet of poster stock, matte board or cork board, then mount your family tree to the material for extra stability.
- Complete your Family Tree by embellishing the piece with decorative touches like beads, sequins and stickers, as desired. For an extra polished look, try framing the piece, or adhere ribbon along the calendar’s border.
This year, keep track of every important moment with a handmade Family Tree Calendar, perfect for display in any room of your home or as a thoughtful homemade gift. Keep it in mind for Mother’s Day, or start a new tradition of making one for every member of your family to add to their bedroom décor. Remember that friends are like family, too, so try framing your family members’ favorite faces in separate calendars. It’s a great way for them to cherish their friends, and for you to keep track of upcoming birthday parties, school events and office functions. Simple steps and materials make this craft project so easy—just let the important people in your life be your guide.