Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Australian couple abandon surrogate twin with Down's syndrome - but keep his sister

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 12:22 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 347 Total Views

Australian couple abandon surrogate twin with Down's syndrome - but keep his sister

Australian couple pays a Thai surrogate mother to have their children, but refuses to take baby Gammy after learning he has Down's syndrome, prompting campaign to help

Gammy was separated from his healthy twin sister
Gammy was separated from his healthy twin sister  

A Thai surrogate mother has received donations from across the world to provide medical treatment for her six-month-old boy, after an Australian couple refused to take the baby on learning he had Down syndrome.

Pattharamon Janbua, 21, was left to care for her critically ill son after the Australian couple who could not have a baby paid her about £6,400 to be a surrogate mother.

The son, named Gammy, was separated from his twin sister, who is healthy and was taken by the Australians.

Mrs Pattharamon, who is married, said she became pregnant via IVF and four months later learnt that one of her children had Down's syndrome. Doctors told the Australian parents of the baby's condition, and they then said they wanted her to have an abortion.

"They told me to have an abortion but I didn't agree because I am afraid of sin," Mrs Pattharamon told Fairfax Media. She said abortion was against her Buddhist beliefs.

Mrs Pattharamon had the baby via a surrogacy agency in Bangkok and never met the couple.

"I asked the agency 'Did I have to sleep with the man?' I was an innocent young girl and I don't know about this business," she said.

"The agent told me: 'We are going to make a glass tube baby,' but I didn't understand. My husband agreed because we didn't have money to pay our debt and I didn't need to have sex with another man."

The case was revealed by a Thai newspaper which prompted a "Hope for Gammy" campaign to raise money for the baby, which needs a series of operations for a congenital heart condition.

"Six-month-old baby Gammy was born in Bangkok with Down's syndrome and a congenital heart condition," the website says. "He was abandoned by his family and is being cared for by a young Thai woman who does not have the funds for his desperately needed medical treatment."

Nicole McCafferty, a mother of two surrogate children, wrote on the website: "Greedy, selfish people".

The campaign has raised about £32,000.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/11005285/Australian-couple-abandon-surrogate-twin-with-Downs-syndrome-but-keep-his-sister.html

by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
diane125
by Diane - Group Owner on Aug. 2, 2014 at 12:28 AM

This is what happens in a society when babies are treated as commodities that can legally be disposed of when found to be 'defective'.

SuchAKillJoy
by Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 3:35 AM

You know I think it is wonderful that things like surrogacy is available. I do not think it is alright to go for "designer babies", which seems like what we are headed for. I'm glad for little Gammy that depite the hand life delt, someone said No to dealing out death to him. Just because a child isn't what you are expecting is no reason to throw them to the wolves. I understand that not everyone can handle SN children, but they are not worthless, they are not defective, they are however they should be. They deserve a chance at life.

diane125
by Diane - Group Owner on Aug. 2, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Yet, the poor surrogate family, who chose surrogacy in the first place because they were in dire need of money, sacrifices to keep a SN child that wasn't even meant to be theirs in the first place. This situation tragically demonstrates the extremes of selfishness (the Australian couple) vs. selflessness (the Thai couple).  

Quoting SuchAKillJoy:

I understand that not everyone can handle SN children,

Raindancerx
by Member on Sep. 15, 2014 at 11:13 AM

I don't know if you read the recent news about this but first it turns out the parents did not abandon the child the surrogate mother told them she was keeping the baby because she said if they took the baby that the parents would just put it in an institution. She made them leave because in her country surrogacy is illegal and the babies are rightfully hers so she said she could take away their daughter too so the couple left and went back to Australia to prevent losing their daughter too. But it has also come out that the father has like 25 counts of molestation against him from little girls and yet he is, for some reason, still allowed to have a little girl of his own to keep and molest in the privacy of his own home. This whole story is just one effed up mess.

diane125
by Diane - Group Owner on Sep. 20, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Wow, thanks for the update! Has he been indicted?

Quoting Raindancerx:

I don't know if you read the recent news about this but first it turns out the parents did not abandon the child the surrogate mother told them she was keeping the baby because she said if they took the baby that the parents would just put it in an institution. She made them leave because in her country surrogacy is illegal and the babies are rightfully hers so she said she could take away their daughter too so the couple left and went back to Australia to prevent losing their daughter too. But it has also come out that the father has like 25 counts of molestation against him from little girls and yet he is, for some reason, still allowed to have a little girl of his own to keep and molest in the privacy of his own home. This whole story is just one effed up mess.

Raindancerx
by Member on Sep. 21, 2014 at 11:23 PM

No. Looks like Australia is going to let him keep the baby. They say they are "investigating" it to determine if the parents are fit or not so it looks like they are not going to do anything about it. So, in Australia, it is perfectly ok for a pedophile to have children as long as they claim that "it is all in the past.." Just, this whole thing is all kinds of messed up.

Quoting diane125:

Wow, thanks for the update! Has he been indicted?

Quoting Raindancerx:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN