Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Newbie needs help!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 8:59 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 184 Total Views

Hi, ladies (and gents?),

I am trying to figure sewing out (and am brand new at it) and would like to focus on baby/toddler clothes and cloth diapers as my main projects.  I have a 10 1/2 month old baby girl (she's big at almost 24 lbs) and we are planning to have another baby in the near future.  Can anyone suggest basic info. I need to get started on this endeavor?  I need to know the best type of fabrics to keep leaks at bay, the easiest patterns to start with, and such...  Your help would be so appreciated.  Thanks!

-Jessica

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Ronica218
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Welcome to the groupa nd sewing!  To start use cheap fabrics like flannel.  That way if you mess up ( we all do!)  it won't be a big deal.  The free Ritas rump pattern is a good easy start.  Also fleece makes a great outer or cover to get a "water proof"  diaper. 

Good luck! 

Veronica  

Visit us on Facebook! Sewing Diaper Divas at CafeMom

teacher312
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Quoting Ronica218:

Welcome to the groupa nd sewing!  To start use cheap fabrics like flannel.  That way if you mess up ( we all do!)  it won't be a big deal.  The free Ritas rump pattern is a good easy start.  Also fleece makes a great outer or cover to get a "water proof"  diaper. 

Good luck! 

I agree.  I started with flannel-pretty cheap at Walmart and the RRP pattern.  Both are easy and really get you started.  There is also a great video on youtube that will give you a visual.  Welcome and good luck!  It is addictive!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)