Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Making RRPs for a friend?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:29 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 323 Total Views

DD's godmother is pregnant!  When I mentioned a while back that I was trying to switch to cloth she told me that she was interested in CD for her future bambinos :-)   I only make RRPs and I love them so I want to make some as a gift for her....my question is should I make them the the full size or should I make some sized down for newborn? or both (the full size just seems so big for a newborn)?  Also, should I put hook and loop on some?  I think I should, I can't imagine pinning a diaper on a wiggly newborn (I don't mind on my toddler)....I just need some tips on the best way to sew it on, I tried to do some RRP fleece covers and the hook turned out kinda yucky --it kept snagging the thread as I sewed, I used a straight stitch,  is there a better stitch to use? or does it just take some practice? I guess I just really need best tips and tricks for RRPs, haha!

I  will probably also make her some soakers...for those of you who go coverless around the house, did you go coverless during infancy or only after your LO became mobile?  I'm curious about this for myself for future bambinos :-D

Favorite CD info that I should share with her?   I'm pretty new to CD, so I want to make sure I don't stear her wrong on anything.  Thanks!

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:21 AM

I would do RRPs with no velcro. It really dampens the adjustability. For the newborn days, try the Darling Diapers pattern - I'm sure there are others out there that are free, but I don't recall names at the moment. You could put velcro on the newborn diapers and leave the RRPs pinnable for maximum adjustability.

I use fleece as an outer on the RRP. I can't stand pull-on soakers - seems like they always get compression leaks from bunching up between his legs. It's more convenient, too. Maybe you could try some each way? That way she could decide if she wanted a cover during the day or not, but at night not have to deal with the trouble of pulling a soaker onto a sleeping baby.

I think I've done a straight stitch on velcro with no problem, but it's been so long that I'm not sure. I do a small, tight zigzag to hide the edges instead - I've never had any problem with that. I only sew on the narrow strip that edges the tape, never on the hooks themselves, so maybe that's why.

Daynara
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:14 AM

I agree with the PP. I use the RRP pattern for my two year old and I have downloaded the DD pattern for my newborn. I love them they are so much better when I made some for my friend who just had her girl in Oct. She just wears them around the house though. She is shy to wear them in public. I make all mine for my two year old with at least one layer of fleece and one of some thing else. I am going to try to make one fitted for my newborn and see how that works and if it does then I have a ton that I am going to make out of old recieving blankets. But the DD pattern is a lot better for the newborns in my opinion. Also I think that mine came with a premie size and a newborn size. Then you can adjust it.

CafeMom Tickers
Daisymae6
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:10 AM

Darling diapers has a free newborn pattern to download on the site that has a snap down or notched out belly button.

Daisy

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics  myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics 
   11.gif bfing and pregnancy image by myspacekitkat 

hatcherbee
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:32 AM

I recently made myself a new newborn stash with the RRP pattern (since I had traded my nb stash away thinking I was done having babies). I just scaled it down to 85% which turns out a diaper the exact same size as an xs Thirsties Fab Fitted. I didnt really like full size RRP's on a newborn. Also added aplix to all the ones I made from flannel since flannel is a PITA to snappi, but left it off the ones I made with stretch terry or velour. Oh and I don't like pull on soakers for a newborn so I made some fleece and some PUL wraps (thirsties style with gussets and FOE) instead. When I sew touchtape or aplix I always use a straight stitch, I find a tighter stitch works better with stiffer touchtape though.

tiffanyderr10
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 9:09 AM

I'm SO glad you posted a ? like this!  I've been wondering the same thing, well, pretty much anyways.  I made 5 RRP diapers while pregnant and have about 6 more cut out.  I don't really use any of them because I didn't like the way it fit on my newborn.  Now that she is 4 months, it's getting easier to use CDs. 

I want to find out if, instead of using 2 layers of flannel (including the pocket which will have microfiber) I could keep the pocket and make the inside touching baby flannel and put an outside layer of fleece, would it work like an AIO kind of?? 

reflect1light
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Quoting tiffanyderr10:

I'm SO glad you posted a ? like this!  I've been wondering the same thing, well, pretty much anyways.  I made 5 RRP diapers while pregnant and have about 6 more cut out.  I don't really use any of them because I didn't like the way it fit on my newborn.  Now that she is 4 months, it's getting easier to use CDs. 

I want to find out if, instead of using 2 layers of flannel (including the pocket which will have microfiber) I could keep the pocket and make the inside touching baby flannel and put an outside layer of fleece, would it work like an AIO kind of?? 

It does work :) That is how I made all of mine and they worked great as night time diapers for my 2 yo!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)