Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hidden Elastic in Prefolds

Posted by on May. 5, 2010 at 10:54 PM
  • 20 Replies
  • 1035 Total Views

For those of you interested in knowing, I am going to attempt to explain how to do this. I suck at explaining things so I will do my best.

• Get your Prefold (this is an infant sized indian prefold 4x8x4)

• Get whatever Diaper pattern that you use ( this will be your guide for cutting.  I fold my prefold in half. 

I  line the front panel of the diaper pattern with the bottom of the prefold, from there I trace the contour of the pattern. (I used the Darling Diaper Newborn Orange pattern.

* Obviously you don't have to use a pattern cut out to determine your cut, I do it for balance and this way I don't have to measure or guess*

• I cut where I have traced, making the prefold look like this

• Once the prefold is cut the sides are open, I use that opening to insert the elastic. You can blind stitch or tack and encase (whatever your preference) I chose to tack and encase because for me repairing elastic is easier, that and I don't get the marks  on my baby's thighs.

• After you have added elastic to both sides you serge the open edges together. In my case I did not feel like messing with the Serger so I used a tight zig-zag stitch as if I was making a button whole

by on May. 5, 2010 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JeresMom
by on May. 5, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Excellent! You actually explained that really well!  Can't wait to give it a try : ) 

MRSnMOTHER
by on May. 6, 2010 at 12:41 AM

Good becasue I have a hard time with giving instructions.

Quoting JeresMom:

Excellent! You actually explained that really well!  Can't wait to give it a try : ) 

Jamaica_Gyal
by on May. 7, 2010 at 12:01 AM

OMG!!This is so AWE---SOME!!!  So can you explain the buttonhole zig zag.  This is the yellow stitching that looks like a serged edge?  I would LOVE to learn how to do this.

MRSnMOTHER
by on May. 7, 2010 at 12:21 AM

Yeah that is the yellow. It is different for different machines. Do you by chance have your book for your machine? If so that will explain it.

Quoting Jamaica_Gyal:

OMG!!This is so AWE---SOME!!!  So can you explain the buttonhole zig zag.  This is the yellow stitching that looks like a serged edge?  I would LOVE to learn how to do this.

Check out My Hangout spots here on Cafemom             
Jamaica_Gyal
by on May. 7, 2010 at 12:35 AM

Yes i have the book. I have the 60 stitch Brother i'll check out that bottonhole thing.

lilchikkis
by on May. 7, 2010 at 11:58 AM

awesome!!! thanks! i have a very cute embellish prefold i cant wait to try this on

Jamaica_Gyal
by on May. 7, 2010 at 3:47 PM

ok, so for your zig zag did you just guide the fabric to make sure the stitch wrapped around the edge perfectly or did you do some after trimming.  This so looks like a serged edge, I am just trying to practice how to do this with a zig zag.  It would make my stash go by so much faster rather than T&T everything.

MRSnMOTHER
by on May. 7, 2010 at 6:16 PM

I went as close to the edge as possible making it wrap around. Clean the edges up with the scissors, if you want to after you clean the edges go over it one more time.

Quoting Jamaica_Gyal:

ok, so for your zig zag did you just guide the fabric to make sure the stitch wrapped around the edge perfectly or did you do some after trimming.  This so looks like a serged edge, I am just trying to practice how to do this with a zig zag.  It would make my stash go by so much faster rather than T&T everything.

Jamaica_Gyal
by on May. 7, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Ok, well at first I was reading your post wrong.  I was actually thinking you used a buttonhole stitch to make the faux serge.  My machine has buttonhole stitches but its all automatic.  Then I re-read and saw that you said tight zig zag "AS-IF" I was making buttonholes.  I looked on my machine and read the instruction manual and realized I needed to do an overcast zig zag using my overcast foot.  So I finally got it.  I guess I should learn to read better, haha.  I am so happy I figured this out.  Thanks again for this post it really helped me alot.

MRSnMOTHER
by on May. 8, 2010 at 4:35 AM

Your very welcome, I am glad I could help.

Quoting Jamaica_Gyal:

Ok, well at first I was reading your post wrong.  I was actually thinking you used a buttonhole stitch to make the faux serge.  My machine has buttonhole stitches but its all automatic.  Then I re-read and saw that you said tight zig zag "AS-IF" I was making buttonholes.  I looked on my machine and read the instruction manual and realized I needed to do an overcast zig zag using my overcast foot.  So I finally got it.  I guess I should learn to read better, haha.  I am so happy I figured this out.  Thanks again for this post it really helped me alot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN