Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mini Diaper Keychain (Sew-Along)

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2010 at 6:50 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 4419 Total Views

You'll notice the fabric switching; I didn't test the dark pink fabric, which I'd never used before, and my machine didn't like it! So I switched to more appropriate fabric. I'm not great at explaining things and this isn't really much different from sewing diapers, but there's been some interest so here goes:

Print out the pattern at 100%, no stretching:

This is actually a scaled down version of the RRP, though perhaps not exactly the same. I'll be trying out a few other patterns as well and will add them if they work out.

Cut your fabrics; for best results, try to use thin ones that aren't prone to fraying. You'll notice I don't take my own advice ;) If you do use a fraying fabric, put it on top so you can be absolutely sure the stitching stays far enough away from the edge. I neglected to do this once and it pulled apart when I turned it!

Lay them right sides together and pin like crazy. Overkill? Sure is, but better safe than sorry.

Starting at one side of the pocket, sew together with 1/4" seam allowance (as marked on the pattern) and the smallest straight stitch possible.

Trim the seam allowance on only non-fraying fabrics and clip/notch the curves for a smoother appearance.

Turn, insert ribbon into the pocket, and topstitch. Actually, I recommend using a machine to stitch the pocket shut and doing the rest by hand. Machine is quicker, but because the tabs are so small the feed dogs are fairly useless and...well, it just doesn't come out well:

See? Pretty wacky. Patience and a needle will give you a much better result.

Grab a needle and thread and baste from one elastic point to the other. Or you can gather while topstitching by hand - just tie a knot at the first elastic point, continue topstitching, then pull tight, tie off again at the other elastic point and continue on your way.

One leg gathered...

And both.

Fold up, close off with a tiny safety pin, et voila! It's ready to go on your keyring.

Another option (for a slightly larger keychain) is to use fabric glue to attach the two layers and do a faux serge stitch around the edge. Fabric glue stiffens it though, so I've yet to find a way to force it into a decent shape:

by on Jun. 6, 2010 at 6:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MommaTuneses
by on Jun. 6, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Too cute, thanks!!!

Stephie280
by on Jun. 6, 2010 at 7:54 PM

That is to cute i'll have to try that one.

lilchikkis
by on Jun. 7, 2010 at 1:13 AM

lol i so did the serge look i could not possibly imagine T N T something that small

haha thanks for the tut.

xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Jun. 7, 2010 at 3:05 AM

It's easier than you'd think. I close the blades of my shears so they'll have a blunt tip and use them to push the tabs out. My pinkie is small enough to turn the rest easily.

carsonsmommy
by on Jun. 7, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Eek! See I was trying to add elastic to mine, and making it soooo much harder than it needed to be!!

xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Jun. 7, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Quoting carsonsmommy:

Eek! See I was trying to add elastic to mine, and making it soooo much harder than it needed to be!!

1/4" elastic? Not a chance. But you actually can use elastic thread/string.

It isn't really worth the result, though. Quicker, easier, and cuter to just use gathering stitching.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)