Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Doh...duh...aha...

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:12 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 296 Total Views

So I just had one of those moments when your whole world changes and everything becomes a little clearer... I've made 20+ dipes now and have been sewing the elastic down with a 3 step zig zag...or so I thought! Turns out I've been using the stretch stitch zig zag w/c is NOT the same as a 3 step zig zag! I was looking at a tutorial for something else and they showed a pix of their elastic w/the 3 step zig zag stitched through and I thought, "well hmmm...that doesn't look like MY 3 step zig zag..." So tonight while I was doing a couple of dipes I looked it up in my owners manual and what'd you know? I learned something new! I'm so excited to add a whole new stitch to my repertoire! And my elastic is stretching even better than before! Life is good and thank goodness no one knows what a sewing dork I've been ;-) 

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Rik-E
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:27 AM

Well we know now cuz you told us.  :-)   

GoddessMychele
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:47 AM

LOL...shhh...don't tell anyone that I don't know everything! I'm so excited that I figured this out in time to do your diaper 'right'! 

Jamaica_Gyal
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:57 AM
I only do a 3 step with foe. Does it really make ur dipes stretch better?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoddessMychele
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:26 AM

I noticed the difference right away versus doing a stretch zig zag stitch. My other dipes turned out fine and fit well enough, but I think these are going to have a much better fit, especially in the legs.

Rik-E
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:43 AM

What type of elastic are you using? I use the 3-step for the clear lastin kind but always case the regular kind. Just wondering since I have never gotten good results sewing the regular kind... not to say you can't, I just obviosly don't know how if there is a trick to it. LOL

xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:00 AM

Quoting GoddessMychele:

LOL...shhh...don't tell anyone that I don't know everything! I'm so excited that I figured this out in time to do your diaper 'right'! 

I read somewhere once that the more you learn about sewing, the more you realize there is that you don't know. I've got to say, in my experience that seems very true!

GoddessMychele
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:19 AM

LOL, this has been my experience in life in general! 

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

Quoting GoddessMychele:

I read somewhere once that the more you learn about sewing, the more you realize there is that you don't know. I've got to say, in my experience that seems very true!

GoddessMychele
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:22 AM

I have 'regular' white elastic- I can't remember, but I think it's braided elastic, if that sounds right. I've not tried the casing, I've only done the zig zag sew in and have had good luck with that...at least I think I've had good luck, it's all I know. I don't have any trick, I just stretch and sew. I'm going to try to do the 'ruffle' elastic leg look this week on a dipe for something new. I've not used the lastin...how is that to work with?

Quoting Rik-E:

What type of elastic are you using? I use the 3-step for the clear lastin kind but always case the regular kind. Just wondering since I have never gotten good results sewing the regular kind... not to say you can't, I just obviosly don't know how if there is a trick to it. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)