Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice on buying a serger machine...

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:00 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 205 Total Views

I'm starting to look at sergers (or overlock machines...is there a difference?) and would love to get recommendations from those of you who have one. I will be using it for making diapers as well as other garments. Right now mainly to finish off edges while I learn all of the other things that it can do. 

Recommendations or tips on things to look for when I'm shopping for one are greatly appreciated! I'd like to stay under $1000 for one and closer to the $500 dollar price tag would be even better! 

Thanks in advance for any help!

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
lilchikkis
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 12:52 AM

i just got the singer professional 5, its a 5 thread serger and cost me $650 as it was on sale, now its $799 but you can find it still on sale online. I got that one because it had the cover stitch which is what i need for the tshirts, the others cheaper ones didnt. and i was at a viking shop maybe somewhere else there where cheaper ones with a cover stich?? i dont know. hehe im just learning how to use it but for the price it better be a good one!!! hehe

oh that reminds me i got your swap almost finish and you better like it because i put lots of thought into it and i use my serger :) hehe

GoddessMychele
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 1:46 AM

As if you could make something that I wouldn't love?! That's just crazy talk- all of your stuff that I've seen is FABULOUS! I can't wait to see what wonderfulness you came up with...and I'm honored to have one of the first things made w/your new serger! Rock on!

Thanks for the info on yours. I looked it up online and it looks really nice. I have it on my list of ones to keep track of. My hubby is talking about maybe getting me one for my birthday next month...fingers crossed. At the very least I'll be getting one this year, but I'm hoping next month versus end of you. (Impatient much? Why yes I am! lol) I'm also wanting to check out the Viking ones. I have a Viking machine w/c I am absolutely in love with! I can't seem to find pricing on line for them so I'll have to go chat with my local sewing store lady and see what she's got for me.

6under1roof
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 1:52 AM

I have a cheaper $200 from walmart- Singer- it works great for edges and limited thickness. No MF, and two layers of sweatshirts is hard for it to cut. But I can whip out a flannel/zorb/flannel sammich in a heartbeat. For what few things I use it for it def. gets the job done.

GoddessMychele
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 1:58 AM

GTK, my hubby was looking at a Singer one in that price range from Wal-Mart and I was wondering how it would perform. 

Quoting 6under1roof:

I have a cheaper $200 from walmart- Singer- it works great for edges and limited thickness. No MF, and two layers of sweatshirts is hard for it to cut. But I can whip out a flannel/zorb/flannel sammich in a heartbeat. For what few things I use it for it def. gets the job done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)