Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

making inserts

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:58 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 257 Total Views

Hello ladies i am new here and looking for some information. I want to make my own inserts using the receiving blankets i have. I have a total of 16. 10 are the same size and 4 of them are bigger. I read somewhere that it is recommended to use like 8 layers, is this right?  I am using gdipers and will be making them the saze as the m/l gcloth. What kind of stich would use, and i had also seen somewhere with a pic of a sample insert that had a stitch going down the center, is that neccessary? thanks ladies

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Depends on how heavy of a wetter you've got. With flannel I use two 4-layer inserts and fold one in half. DS has always peed a lot though.

The center stitch - was that width or length-wise? If it's width-wise, it might be for easier folding.

Peytons_Mama09
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:22 PM
She's not to heavy of a wetter. So I could probably get by with doing 6 layers? It lengh wise and just down the center.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Hmm...not sure the purpose of that then, unless it maybe helps it lay more comfortably. 8 layers of flannel can be awfully stiff. 6 layers should be just fine. You can always double up if it turns out to be too little, or make boosters to go with the inserts.

Peytons_Mama09
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:51 PM

What are boosters? never heard of them

xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Booster = Doubler

Quote Cloth Diaper Glossary:

Diaper doublers are also known as liners, inserts, or soakers (not to be confused with wool soakers). They are made of absorbent fabric. Their purpose is to increase the absorbency of any diaper that you use. Some doublers come with the diaper and can be snapped in place. Others are partially sewn in and flip out when being washed. They can also come separately and be used in any diaper. Some doublers are a contour shape for a better fit. Many doublers are topped with polyester fleece, which provides a wicking layer to keep the baby dry. You can even use a piece of fleece as a liner, if you wish. The fleece layer also makes the doubler easier to clean when it is time for a dreaded dunk in the toilet. Some people avoid polyester fleece because they do not want synthetic fibers touching their baby's skin.

teacher312
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Carli wasn't a heavy wetter either until last week.  If you plan to use them awhile, I'd make them for a heavy wetter just in case!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)