Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New diaper! Added pics

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:45 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 557 Total Views

I'd never seen or even heard of this pattern before, so when I found it I just had to try it out! I had my misgivings at first, since I'm not really a fan of side-snapping diapers or squared tabs, but aside from the fact that DS seems to be between settings it hasn't been a problem. I think it looks great, especially since I sewed it at 3am and made plenty of mistakes! There are a lot of instructions and tips as well, so even if you're not interested in the overall pattern I'd recommend having a look at the instructions anyway =)

DS is mostly out of diapers, but every now and then he asks for one and I see no reason not to let him have it. I didn't actually expect this to fit him since it says max 32lbs, but it does. He's between the small and medium setting (size large) and about 35lbs.

Crotch gap...

Some of these shots the inserts are there, some they're out. I have no idea why I added a pocket; it's all-fleece because it's supposed to be a shell. As I said, though, 3am sewing doesn't always turn out too great...

I made a deal with DS that if he modeled it (he really didn't want to wear it!) he could take a picture. Pretty good shot, IMO.

The fit is pretty good...the inserts? Not so much.

The tabs slipping - but he was bouncing/jumping/running around a LOT.

I still haven't made the inserts. Been too busy with baby clothes for my soon-to-be niece!

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mamagirlz
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:02 PM

You did an awesome job!  I thought about making a diaper like this but since I don't like side tabs either I thought about switching where the snaps go.  Like put more on the front and then less ones on the back so instead of the long tab sitting inside the diaper it would sit on the outside and then it won't be a side snapped diaper if that makes any sense to you.

xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Yeah, I get it. Had I used sockets where the studs are it would basically be reversible. I'll get a pic of him wearing it so you can see where the tab sits...but first I have to reclaim my camera batteries from one of DS's toys, provided he'll even let me =P

MRSnMOTHER
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:37 PM

How does it look closed, and how is the fit?

xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Jun. 28, 2010 at 1:06 AM

I had a stupid moment. You could make it reversible by adding a couple of snaps...but why waste snaps? I got pictures, but my computer is currently refusing to recognize the camera so I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning and borrow DB's card reader.

The fit is okay, but I can't say for sure. I didn't make inserts for it, I used some fairly stiff ones I had lying around; they make any diaper sit a little weird. The front did slip a bit, but he was bouncing around like crazy; it was nowhere near as bad as the RRP, and it slipped up rather than down so I'm not complaining =P The butt's a bit baggy and the crotch is too wide, IMO, but DS is awfully skinny. Waist fits perfectly, and the legs gap a very slight bit only when DS is sitting with the bottoms of his feet touching and his knees spread wide apart...kind of like lotus position, if that makes sense.

I'm going to make an insert following the pattern's recommendations and see if that improves the bagging/crotch bunching.

LippyMcTiccy
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 7:09 PM

I'm trying to download the pattern. I can get the instructions just fine but when I try the pattern or the instruction/pattern combo I get an error message. I'll see if my brother can help me later but I hate computers sometimes.

xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Jun. 28, 2010 at 7:47 PM

I have the combo. If you want I can email it to you.

Edit: Just downloaded the pattern alone too. No problems here.

6under1roof
by on Jun. 29, 2010 at 1:15 AM

It looks nice :)

lilchikkis
by on Jun. 29, 2010 at 4:09 AM

ok so i printes out the pattern for the medium size and it came out looking tiny, the 1 inch square thingy is fine, the right size but the pattern is the same size as my NB pattern!

so yeah what do you think i did wrong?

xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Jun. 29, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Print settings. Print as landscape, not portrait. I'm not entirely sure it's exactly paper-sized - I ended up just duplicating the 1" square to see how much was missing since I was out of printer paper. But it does definitely look like the layout should be landscape.

I'd totally forgotten about the issues I had with that. Sorry for the lack of warning!

ETA: Umm...stupid moment here. The sham pocket fully prints, so just lay that over the front piece to see how much is missing from the middle.

LippyMcTiccy
by on Jul. 2, 2010 at 12:22 AM

Yeah, I finally got it. I had to install a newer version of Foxit (my PDF viewer). Now, If I only had a color printer. lol

Quoting LippyMcTiccy:

I'm trying to download the pattern. I can get the instructions just fine but when I try the pattern or the instruction/pattern combo I get an error message. I'll see if my brother can help me later but I hate computers sometimes.

I'm expecting a little girl!CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)