Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

fleece instead of cotton batting?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:04 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 586 Total Views

i'm working on a quilt for my friend, we've created this thing together, but he's in KY so I have to do the sewing LOL

Anyway, I had made a baby blanket a few months ago and just sewed flannel patches to fleece and it turned out quite nice.

I'm thinking about using a thin fleece for my quilt instead of cotton batting, because that crap is TOOOO expensive!!!

Any reasons why I should not do this? LOL

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MommaTuneses
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:48 AM

only diffrence I see is cotton vs polyester. I use flece on little blankies.

usmc_wifey230
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:34 AM

The only down fall I can see is it is a bit strechy and makes it a bit of a pain to quilt (I just finished a fleece and flannel quilt, one stretches....one doesn't *sigh*) But they make polyester batting too so I don't see why not...

GoddessMychele
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:33 AM

I wouldn't see any reason why you couldn't, it will just give a different look than a batting would. Think of a glaze vs whipped frosting- they both of full of goodness, but they give a completely different appearance. Either will work, it's just what you want the finished product to look like. 

I found this site that has some good tips for quilting with fleece. http://quilting.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_use_fleece_as_a_quilt_backing

xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:27 PM

I used a thin cotton print and fleece for my niece's quilt; it quilted just fine. It feels a bit thinner than the burp cloths I made with batting, but otherwise there doesn't seem to be much difference.

I keep seeing (Warm & Natural) cotton batting on the remnant shelf, 2 yards for $8. Maybe you could get lucky too. It's worth a look, right?

6under1roof
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:21 PM

yeah, I'll have to wait til the weekend to go on the hunt, but I wasn't going to use it as a back, I was going to use it as a middle layer. I'm already kicking my butt on this because we're using a woven on the print side and freaking OBV on the back, so it's going to be a project anyway LMBO

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)