Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Early PT and trainer help

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:05 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 248 Total Views
My 14 month DS is working on potty learning and I want to make him some trainers for the day and pull up style for night time. My question is first of all does anyone know of a pattern that is 12 months or at least 18 months or how to modify a diaper pattern. He obviously isn't able to take undies off and on easily so tips on creative contruction and the best fabrics to use. We are still moving in and don't have Internet yet so I am kind of restricted from searching too much on my own. Plus I havent even thought about trainers since my kids are so young but he is doing really well. TIA
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lilchikkis
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:33 PM

ify ou dont mind use i have a bunch of 18m trainers

youcan buy the tinke time one thats what i use

i can send you one and you can maybe draft your own pattern from it? i dont know let me know hehe

usmc_wifey230
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:58 PM
I checked out the tinkle time, it actually goes small enough! If you are using all knit fabrics can you serge the whole thing? I really suck at sewing knits. What fabric combos do you use?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Tinkle Time is lovely =)

I use cotton interlock or fleece for the body, flannel/cotton batting/terrycloth for the soaker. I had trouble with the interlock at first, but I found a tip for knits to set your stitch length to about 8-10 stitches per inch and stretch while sewing; when it unstretches the stitches will be closer together, but they'll be relaxed enough not to cause frilling. You could serge the whole thing, but the seams might sit a little funny if you don't topstitch them. Also, if you're using interlock you should add elastic inside the back of the waistband.

Stephie280
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 5:14 AM

I use katrina quick soaker pattern for my trainers. and i just sew a flannel soaker in the middle. It seems to be working good i'm just add elastic to the waist.

usmc_wifey230
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 8:53 AM
Does it tell you how to add the elastic or did you have to fiddle with it? If you figured it out how did you do it?
I am going to buy the pattern here in a bit and give it a shot. I got some cute interlock at joanns yesterday. Plus the pattern says it's good at using up scraps, have you found that to be true?

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

Tinkle Time is lovely =)

I use cotton interlock or fleece for the body, flannel/cotton batting/terrycloth for the soaker. I had trouble with the interlock at first, but I found a tip for knits to set your stitch length to about 8-10 stitches per inch and stretch while sewing; when it unstretches the stitches will be closer together, but they'll be relaxed enough not to cause frilling. You could serge the whole thing, but the seams might sit a little funny if you don't topstitch them. Also, if you're using interlock you should add elastic inside the back of the waistband.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Sep. 1, 2010 at 10:30 AM

The pattern has markings for it. I use a little extra for fleece.

The pattern is 3 pieces plus the waist/leg bands - front, back, and side panels. It can be pretty good at using up scraps, and there's definitely less/smaller scraps with this pattern than diapers leave.

lilchikkis
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 4:16 PM

i madel ike 10 using nothing but scraps. hehe

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)