Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Which fabrics?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:09 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 337 Total Views

Have yet to sew a diaper, but I'm certainly going to try! I want to make diapers for my DD, whom is still in sposies. 

So I suppose my question is..for now... 

When make AIO/AI2's and/or diaper covers. If you use PUL (and want a different pattern) what type of fabric should you use on the outer part? 

As well as what is the best type of fabric for what's going to be up against baby's skin? I am going to try the AI2's first. So I wouldn't want a soaker fabric right? Because that's what the snap-in insert will be. I've heard that regular fleece (the kind that repels) is good for the inside against baby's skin. Where as the microfleece is for the soaking..something that I could use for the liner right?

Any suggestions very much welcome. I'm just looking for some diapers to make with the right kind of fabrics so that I can start cloth diapering my baby (and future babies) as well as maybe selling them...if I'm any good at it, lol.

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
HisB0107
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 9:54 AM

BUMP!

xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Dec. 10, 2010 at 2:30 PM

For hidden PUL, avoid cotton if you can. Poly fabrics are safest (minky, antipill fleece, some knits)...cotton works too, but sometimes causes problems with wicking. Many people use cotton prints without any issues, but flannel should definitely be avoided.

If you're just doing a shell pretty much anything can be used as the inner. Stay-dry is best - fleece, minky, ultracuddle, the like. Stick with a thin fleece (minky, micro or antipill) to reduce bulk. To top the insert use a thin fleece as well. If you don't mind 'wet' fabrics, flannel will also work for the inner.

HisB0107
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Thanks momma. Very helpful :)

I think I"m just trying to make sure to get the just the right fabrics. I want to start with making the AI2 diaper of some sort. Every sight that I find tells me about all the different kinds of fabrics to use for a cloth diaper, but not which fabrics are for what. Like, the microfleece and microfiber is for the soaker pads or inserts, or the snap-ins. I have seen that wool and PUL materials are good for covers or for the outer part of the AI2. 

I do indeed want to do a hidden pull. PUL's just don't seem to have many prints. I've found numerous prints that I would love to see on my DD's butt, lol. I got some fabric from Wal-Mart, their pre-cut 5 yard kinds. It's polyester, nylon, knit mix. Very soft, seems to be something that clothes would be able to slide over easily as well. Would that be ok for the outside?

And for the inside, I would want a fabric that repels right? Since It's going to be an AI2, meaning I snap in a liner that will be be the soaker part. I just wanna make sure I get it right without wasting money, lol. 

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

For hidden PUL, avoid cotton if you can. Poly fabrics are safest (minky, antipill fleece, some knits)...cotton works too, but sometimes causes problems with wicking. Many people use cotton prints without any issues, but flannel should definitely be avoided.

If you're just doing a shell pretty much anything can be used as the inner. Stay-dry is best - fleece, minky, ultracuddle, the like. Stick with a thin fleece (minky, micro or antipill) to reduce bulk. To top the insert use a thin fleece as well. If you don't mind 'wet' fabrics, flannel will also work for the inner.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in an attractive and preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways......chocolate in one hand, wine in the other; body used up, totally worn out ....and screaming: "Woo Hoo, What A Ride!"

xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Dec. 13, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Quoting HisB0107:

I think I"m just trying to make sure to get the just the right fabrics. I want to start with making the AI2 diaper of some sort. Every sight that I find tells me about all the different kinds of fabrics to use for a cloth diaper, but not which fabrics are for what. Like, the microfleece and microfiber is for the soaker pads or inserts, or the snap-ins.

I've been planning to fix our fabric list; for now I'll add a key to show which fabrics are good for what.

I have seen that wool and PUL materials are good for covers or for the outer part of the AI2. 

Wool shouldn't be combined with other fabrics. An all-wool shell is awesome for an AI2 but you shouldn't use cotton inner/wool outer or anything like that.

I do indeed want to do a hidden pull. PUL's just don't seem to have many prints. I've found numerous prints that I would love to see on my DD's butt, lol. I got some fabric from Wal-Mart, their pre-cut 5 yard kinds. It's polyester, nylon, knit mix. Very soft, seems to be something that clothes would be able to slide over easily as well. Would that be ok for the outside?

If it's machine-washable it ought to be fine. It just has to be able to handle the frequent washings cloth diapers receive.

And for the inside, I would want a fabric that repels right? Since It's going to be an AI2, meaning I snap in a liner that will be be the soaker part. I just wanna make sure I get it right without wasting money, lol. 

Yep, repels/won't hold moisture. Thin fleece (micro, antipill, minky) is better than thick since it would be less bulky.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you!

HisB0107
by on Dec. 13, 2010 at 6:55 PM

That's alright! THANKS SO MUCH :)

HisB0107
by on Dec. 14, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Is all minky the same though? I found an adorable print of minky fabric and would like to have it as the layer up against DD's skin. Then I'll have a hidden pull.

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

Quoting HisB0107:

I think I"m just trying to make sure to get the just the right fabrics. I want to start with making the AI2 diaper of some sort. Every sight that I find tells me about all the different kinds of fabrics to use for a cloth diaper, but not which fabrics are for what. Like, the microfleece and microfiber is for the soaker pads or inserts, or the snap-ins.

I've been planning to fix our fabric list; for now I'll add a key to show which fabrics are good for what.

I have seen that wool and PUL materials are good for covers or for the outer part of the AI2. 

Wool shouldn't be combined with other fabrics. An all-wool shell is awesome for an AI2 but you shouldn't use cotton inner/wool outer or anything like that.

If it's machine-washable it ought to be fine. It just has to be able to handle the frequent washings cloth diapers receive.

Yep, repels/won't hold moisture. Thin fleece (micro, antipill, minky) is better than thick since it would be less bulky.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in an attractive and preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways......chocolate in one hand, wine in the other; body used up, totally worn out ....and screaming: "Woo Hoo, What A Ride!"

xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Dec. 14, 2010 at 7:10 PM

I don't know how much quality might vary based on where you're buying it...it's all polyester, though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)