Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do you do Fold over elastic?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:51 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 280 Total Views

I want to sew foe but not sure how to do it? any turtorials? I made a diaper cover but it looks wrong to me and all over the place with foe.

Its supper tiny I not sure what cloth diaper will fit in it if any. I think I made the foe to tight around the legs, back, and front. It from a darling diaper pattern. Still not sure how to do a cover. Oh and to top it off I found out that its not water proof pul just water resistant.

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Stephie280
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:29 AM
Kat29-35
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:47 AM

How hard do you strech the elastic? Strech it as tight as it can go? or strech it so it just barley streched?

Stephie280
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:57 AM

I strech has tight has i can go. I do that because i likea  good seal around there legs.

LorelNicolette
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:07 PM

I only stretch while sewing in the leg areas and back.  I add gussets for extra leak protection. 

I start sewing on the FOE at the tummy panel using the three step zig zag stitch.  Once I get to the end, I use the same zig zag stitch to finish off the edge so the cut part of the elastic doesn't fray as much.

What do you mean by water resistant fabric?  I didn't realize that fabric could be treated like that.  This is where I get my PUL cuts - Junktique.  She is taking a break, but should be back soon. 

Here are some pictures of a diaper I made last night...

LorelNicolette
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:10 PM

I followed this tutorial.

EmilyD88
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:51 PM

i saw that the other day! bummer.

Quoting LorelNicolette:

I only stretch while sewing in the leg areas and back.  I add gussets for extra leak protection. 

I start sewing on the FOE at the tummy panel using the three step zig zag stitch.  Once I get to the end, I use the same zig zag stitch to finish off the edge so the cut part of the elastic doesn't fray as much.

What do you mean by water resistant fabric?  I didn't realize that fabric could be treated like that.  This is where I get my PUL cuts - JunktiqueShe is taking a break, but should be back soon. 

Here are some pictures of a diaper I made last night...

EmilyD88
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:54 PM

i haven't done covers yet, i make fitteds and ai2's, but it looks to me like your zip zag needs to be wider to cover more of the FOE, and also i would only stretch where you want it to be tight, around the legs and back, and front if you want, too. all the covers i own have gussets, which i really like, and there are several good tuts in the directory in this forum! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)